cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to a location where coverage is poor

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm moving to a location where the coverage maps show that O2 coverage is not very good and my past experience having been visiting said location for 2 years would suggest the same. 

I spoke to someone on chat earlier to see what I can do as I still have a year to go on my contract and all they would keep telling me was that a mast was down and being fixed as we spoke (I tried explaining the coverage map shows only 2G in the area!) but she was adament this would resolve the problem when the mast was back up! and wouldn't listen to my question of what I can do about my contract!

So I called, and got someone else who I explained my issue with again and was told yep, there was a mast down in the area and was being fixed as we spoke! again I said I had been visiting for 2 years and the coverage issue was the same so I didn't think a mast that wasn't working currently was the issue I had and the coverage map only showed 2G! 

My question remains unanswered really! so given I'm on pay monthly and have a year left on my contract, if I pay off my device plan can I just walk away? the person I spoke to on the phone said yes, but I'm not sure that it will only cost me the price of the phone? I just don't trust the answers I'm getting because I don't think they are listening properly and just sticking to a script in front of them (no offence intended) does anyone know? I know the mast is not the issue as nobody in the area neighbour wise is on O2 purely for the fact that signal is so poor! thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144214 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

If you are on refresh you can pay off the device plan and cancel the airtime for free by giving 30 days notice.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144214 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

If you are on refresh you can pay off the device plan and cancel the airtime for free by giving 30 days notice.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, I should have looked harder! smiling

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions
@Anonymous You should also check what the signal is like from the other providers. If there is a mast problem, as O2 are saying, the issue could be the same if you switched, as providers share masts sometimes and you'd be no better off.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bambino, this is why I don't think it's a mast issue either because EE coverage is working perfectly well!, friends of ours are on this and are not having any issues. 

I accept there may well be a mast down at the moment but this is not what is causing the problem I have, looking at the coverage map they only have 2G in the area!

Message 5 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

What does EE have to with o2?

EE dont share masts with o2, unfortunately some areas will always be just 2G, due to costs in getting 4G or 3G backhauls to the sites, permission to dig up roads etc.

I would suggest paying up and moving to EE, although have a look at the MVNO's that run on EE, you will get a better deal..(BT MObile, PlusNet, and Virgin Mobile to name 3).

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 6