cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Ireland from UK but signed up to 24 month contract? Any ideas what I can do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all when I took out a two year contract with O2 via Carphone Warehouse in December 2013 I had not planned to be moving back to Ireland but the house price rise in the UK has left me with no other option!

I contacted 02 Shop last year and explained my situation however all they sated was because I went through Carphone Warehouse instead of O2 Directly then all they could advise is that they would unlock the phone and I could sell it on Ebay and then repay the full contract? There must be an easier option than that as I wish to keep my iPhone 5c ? Any Ideas Please? Thomas Madden

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes the deals can be more enticing but do lock one in.

At least Refresh offers a get out of contract avenue.
Message 11 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
As we always advise - What seems like a good deal upfront, may not be further on down the line....
If you had took a refresh contract with O2 directly you could have paid off the phone (and kept it) and just walked away from the rest of the contract for free....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason I got it through CPW was because they offered me a better deal than when I went to an O2 Shop?
Message 14 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You can't hold O2 responsible because you have to move. Had you taken out a contract with any other mobile provider the result would be the same.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish you well and hope you find a reasonable outcome to this situation your currently in Thomasm56
Message 16 of 24

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Reasonable.....?
There is only one outcome wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reasonable as in find a way to resolve this as they see fit.

Theirs a few ways to that 'outcome'

Message 18 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

If the OP doesn't want a negative mark on his credit rating, the only outcome is to pay off the contract and get the phone unlocked. He doesn't have much other choice.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
If he moves to Ireland will the negative mark only apply when / if he returns to the Uk ?
Message 20 of 24