cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Germany - Monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am moving to Germany on 10th December and was wondering if I could change my contract to a German contract? 

thanks, 

carina 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately not . O2de is a totally separate company so you need to either pay off the full contract or do what I do here in Thailand and use Tugo over wifi for calling and texting back to the UK in order to use your allowances. I only have 2 months left on my contract now thankfully.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately not . O2de is a totally separate company so you need to either pay off the full contract or do what I do here in Thailand and use Tugo over wifi for calling and texting back to the UK in order to use your allowances. I only have 2 months left on my contract now thankfully.

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If on refresh you can pay off your phone(so you own it) and cancel the airtime for free with one months notice.
You can then get a sim only deal in Germany to use in your current phone but make sure you get it unlocked first http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SI...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Whatever you do, please don't choose O2de as your provider over in Germany , my son lives there and had endless problems with them. You need to get your phone unlocked via My O2 if you choose to follow the advice by @MI5

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

There are four main providers in Germany:

• T-Mobil (D1, www.t-mobile.de😞 operated by the former state monopoly Deutsche Telekom.
  • Vodafone (D2, www.vodafone.de😞 Formerly Mannesmann, the D2 network was taken over by Vodafone and is aggressively trying to expand market share.
  • E-Plus ( www.eplus.de😞 It positions itself as an low-cost provider, offering a wide range of calling plans for people who use their mobiles infrequently. Coverage of the E-Net is not as good as D-Net.
  • O2 ( www.o2online.de😞 The youngest competitor in the market, O2 is aggressively marketing itself and has rapidly gained market share. It offers a unique 'home zone' plan which allows you to call on fixed-line-tariffs when you're in an area of about 500 meters around your home. Even though these home tariffs are a little more expensive than normal fixed phone rates, O2's Genion tariff can be an attractive option if you don't want to get a fixed line or want a single phone number.

Source: https://www.justlanded.com/english/Germany/Germany-Guide/Telephone-Internet/Mobile-phones

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

M son is now with Vodafone and thankfully it's far better than Vodafone UK,  customer service and coverage. He has no problem at all with them.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good to know.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7