cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving abroad with Pay and Go

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I'm moving abroad in September - a long-term move, and was just wondering what is best to do with my phone. I'm currently on Pay and Go.

I will be moving to Spain, and have heard that O2 have an equivalent/sister company in Spain. Is it possible to change my phone on to that network? Or should I get a new sim card out there? Is it worth keeping my current O2 sim card for any time I visit the UK again, or will it be cancelled?

Thanks for any help you can give. I've tried to chat on live chat to an O2 expert but no one has responded, so thought I'd check here! 🙂

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Movistar is the best network in southern Spain...bar none. I have used Vodafone ES and Orange ES and they are ok but not as good. Never heard of anyone using Lycamobile.

Re keeping the two phones. I was speaking purely from my experience and that of my ex pat friends who live in Spain and travel to the UK frequently. They have no problem using two phones...contacts are on both. As I say very much a matter of personal choice. Good luck to you whatever you choose to do. Its a beautiful country and we have had our apartment here for 28 years...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 12

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

If your phone has been on O2 for 12 months (unless iphone and doesn't apply) then get your phone unlocked and use a Spanish sim. O2 Travel rates are fairly good if you want to use the O2 sim but you will need a UK debit/credit card to top up.

If the number isn't one you wish to keep then there is no benefit in keeping it if you decide non a local sim. You would have to make a chargeable call with the UK sim every 6 months to keep it active.

Good luck in the future with your move to Spain.:smileyhappy:

If one needs a UK number that badly whilst in Spain, but is going to close his UK bank accounts (hence no UK debit card to use for topups), he could port his number to Vodafone. From what I know (don't rely on that one too much, doublecheck first), you can topup your Vodafone number using a voucher from a Vodafone network in another country. From my personal experience (some 4-5yrs ago though), I was able to topup an Irish Vodafone with a Vodafone UK voucher.

Message 12 of 12