Did you mean: 

Moving abroad - want to keep a pay monthly contract

Mpw1101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

I will be moving permanently to Poland in approximately a month. I will still carry on working in the UK, however this will be on a remote basis.

I would like to keep my phone number and my existing contract, which is pay monthly (no phone, sim only). Appreciate this may incur unnecessary cost for me, however I'd rather just have a monthly charge appear in my UK bank account, than have to remember about topping up.

The other issue is that PAYG does not support esim, which will be necessary for me as I will be using a local Polish sim as well.

In essence, all that will change is the fact I won't be resident in the UK - I will still keep a UK bank account and will visit once every 3-6 months.

Is it possible to remain on a pay monthly contract, or would I have to switch to PAYG? Happy to pay for the entire year / term of contract upfront if this is an option. I know O2 offer free roaming in the EU, so will likely be using the data allowance in particular.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mpw1101 

You should be fine to carry on.

You are allowed 63 days outside of the UK in any 4 month period so if you are coming back to the UK regularly you won't have any problems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mpw1101 

You should be fine to carry on.

You are allowed 63 days outside of the UK in any 4 month period so if you are coming back to the UK regularly you won't have any problems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Mpw1101 

You can carry on using your contract for a limited time. However if you go over 63 days in a 4 month period, your services will be restricted. O2 have a fair usage policy.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe 

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Mpw1101
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the reply. The frequency of my visits to the UK is a bit unpredictable - there may be 6 month periods where I will be away. Would O2 in this case try to cancel my contract?
Message 4 of 10

Mpw1101
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah, this should be fine then - in all honesty, once I get a Polish sim, my o2 card will effectively just be sitting there for incoming calls and texts only.
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mpw1101 

Your contract would not be cancelled, but services may be restricted until you return to UK.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No not cancelled. As said, they would be restricted. However, if you are using a local sim you will be fine.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

The majority use of a Polish sim would be OK and should not give you any issues with O2 @Mpw1101 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

katerosemaher
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hey, I’m moving to Sweden in august and won’t return to the uk until december, what can I do?/what will happen to my pay monthly?
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@katerosemaher 

You will continue to be billed and your contract will remain open unless you cancel it.

You can use your phone whilst in Sweden without additional charges provided you don't use it for more than 63 days whilst you are out there.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10