cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto e3

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i buy my girlfriend her first smart phone and went to collect in the 02 store as I ordered online. When i got it home she couldnt charge it as i had no usb plug. I was told because of the ozone layer and greenpeace we are unable to issue out plugs to charge the phone i would need to purchase a plug which was £13.99. Ive never purchased a phone before without a plug. Was this a true statement. It was the store in westfield stratford east london. I think u should let people know if a plug is not with payg phones when purchased as i didnt know untill the phone got home that I couldn't charge it. Never got refund either as the store told me go through customer service then customer service told me to ring motorolla dont think no one knows???
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Sadly this practice is becoming all too common place now. I think it's a shoddy way to squeeze more money out of customers by removing the chargers and expecting them to pay separately . I also think it's dangerous... as people will be tempted to go for cheap chargers which is never a good thing.

Other people have complained about this...so you are not alone.

The excuse you were given about the ozone layer etc etc was absolute rubbish. If that was the case, then why were they offering you a charger for £13.99??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Sadly this practice is becoming all too common place now. I think it's a shoddy way to squeeze more money out of customers by removing the chargers and expecting them to pay separately . I also think it's dangerous... as people will be tempted to go for cheap chargers which is never a good thing.

Other people have complained about this...so you are not alone.

The excuse you were given about the ozone layer etc etc was absolute rubbish. If that was the case, then why were they offering you a charger for £13.99??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The theory behind it is that everyone usually has a spare charger from previous phones with a USB connector so O2 generously supply a new USB lead for charging via an existing plug or via a PC.

Unfortunately with all that's going on with batteries exploding, using a charger not manufactured for the relevant phone is both dangerous and penny-pinching. Nothing to do with being a 'green friendly' process. They take the charger out of the box and promptly put it into stock.

This policy should be reversed as people are buying chargers for around £0.99 from eBay or Amazon which state they are genuine but are anything but. Chargers can be recycled same as phones and any other electrical item.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Penny pinching cheapskates.
Show your displeasure by buying elsewhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4