cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly 24 month contract - Query about trading in phone to manufacturer.

Ri14
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Quick query,

Currently on pay a 24 monthly contract and was looking at reverting back to my old phone (I prefer it) but continuing using and paying my 24 monthly contract. Due to reverting back to my old phone, the new phone that was part of the pay monthly deal is left really unused. 

Was wondering if it is possible to return the phone back to the maunfacturer using their trade in process? I don't want to do something that may be wrong or prohibited.

I fully intend to continue paying my 24 monthly contract; as I need a sim and the network. I just want to know what I can do with the unused handheld phone?

Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Ri14  You are responsible for the cost of the device while you're in contract, but you can pay it off in full at any time, and then sell it to hopefully cover your costs. You don't have to sell it to the manufacturer. You can sell it to CEX, or even sell it yourself on eBay.

If you're happy with the old phone you have, you can just use your sim in that one, if it's the same size, or swap it for free if you need a different size. 

After paying off your device you can also look for a cheaper sim only contract than the airtime you presently have with your 24 month contract.

This guide should help with anything else you may be concerned with: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-your-contract-An-updated-guide/ba-p/1234852

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Ri14  You are responsible for the cost of the device while you're in contract, but you can pay it off in full at any time, and then sell it to hopefully cover your costs. You don't have to sell it to the manufacturer. You can sell it to CEX, or even sell it yourself on eBay.

If you're happy with the old phone you have, you can just use your sim in that one, if it's the same size, or swap it for free if you need a different size. 

After paying off your device you can also look for a cheaper sim only contract than the airtime you presently have with your 24 month contract.

This guide should help with anything else you may be concerned with: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-your-contract-An-updated-guide/ba-p/1234852

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Ri14 

In theory the phone should be returned to O2 as you don't own it, until you have paid off your contract. However, you will find you will get a better price for it if you trade it in at CEX for example.

As long as you are paying your contract in a timely fashion then it doesn't really matter.

Check out what O2 will give you for the device Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Then it's up to you. I reiterate, the phone does belong to O2 until it's paid off. .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Ri14
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much! This is what I thought - I appreciate you replying.

Have a nice day!
Message 4 of 6

Ri14
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much! Yes that makes sense! 

I appreciate you replying - thanks! 

Have a good day! 

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No problem @Ri14 

Best of luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket