Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Mobile internet - is there a charge? (Nokia E71)

Hi,

Whilst playing around with my Nokia PC Suite, I checked out the mobile internet option (using mobile as a modem).

I've got the unlimited web bolt-on, does that include using my phone as a modem?

Just curious ATM.
Anonymous

Officially (as noted in the Terms & Conditions) you can't use your phone as a modem on a standard o2 plan. You need the Web Max bolt-on @ £30 a month, or a mobile internet dongle for your laptop.

In practical terms, however, I'm sure a small amount of traffic from your laptop via your phone will go unnoticed and won't incur extra charges on top of your current bolt-on.

As it is against the T&C's you do it at your own risk though. Worst case scenario would be a warning from o2 or a bill for extra charges, I would think.

SV
Anonymous

Odd then, that I managed to connect so easily. I would have thought there would be a setup process to go through on first connection.

I'll have to check the T&C's again! I'm on a higher package, not sure if that makes a difference. May speak to Customer Services for clarification (they are quite helpful).

Thanks!
Anonymous

This subject has come up many times and what I posted seems to be the agreed interpretation of the current T&C's.

"You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers."

There's always the chance that myself and others are interpreting this wrongly Smiley Wink

SV
Anonymous

Odd then, that I managed to connect so easily. I would have thought there would be a setup process to go through on first connection.

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should Smiley Happy

SV
Anonymous

Yup, that's been discussed numerous times in these forums, do a search and many many similar topics will come up.

Strange_Visitor's post above summarises the results of all previous arguments and deliberations Smiley Happy , however I must say I belong to the minority (or am I the only one?? Smiley Indifferent ) who believe that particular phrasing of the T&Cs can be interpreted differently and is not entirely rock-solid, etc.

In any case, it's true that for light web browsing and emailing, O2 won't bother you for using your phone as a modem.
Anonymous

I agree DonDino2 that it's not entirely clear (o2 T&C's never are, gives them room for interpretation Smiley Happy )

However, if it's possible to use your phone as a modem without the SIM card being in, then I'll alter my perception of the T&C's in that regard.

SV