cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile in spain

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I'm going to Murcia next week as we have bought an apartment there.
Will be going a few times a year .
What are charges for calls and texts.
Do I get charged if someone rings me ?
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes you do I'm afraid. You can use O2 Travel but it depends on your usage whether the daily charge is cost effective for you. TU is another alternative over wifi to use your O2 allowances but to be honest, if you have property there, why not go for a local sim?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes you do I'm afraid. You can use O2 Travel but it depends on your usage whether the daily charge is cost effective for you. TU is another alternative over wifi to use your O2 allowances but to be honest, if you have property there, why not go for a local sim?

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Use Tu over wifi and it won't cost you to make and receive calls to UK http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go you can even use it in conjuction with o2 travel when away from wifi for the £1.99 daily charge, but if you are calling local spanish numbers it's cheaper to not have o2 travel and just call direct from the normal phone dialer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have an apartment in Spain and the first thing I would advise you to do is get wifi installed in your property.

I save a fortune on roaming charges. I use Wifi to call and text over TuGo.. I use my PC, tablet and phone. I also have a WiFi TV box installed which allows me to watch many many channels on the TV...(Including Sky channels)

In fact by using WiFi I never incur any data roaming charges at all when in Spain...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I have an apartment in Spain and the first thing I would advise you to do is get wifi installed in your property.

First thing I did in my house in France too.

I have a local Sfr sim in a spare phone to make local calls (also has Tugo installed on it) and use my normal phone with o2 sim as normal when at home on wifi with airplane mode on so calls can only come in through the Tugo app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Another point worth mentioning as just pointed out to me by a friend is that local businesses won't call a UK mobile if you're trying to arrange delivery of items or get any builders to do work etc, so a local number is vital in these circumstances.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I must also apologise as to not answering your original question either.

It is free to receive calls and will cost you 3.6p per min to call a UK or Spanish mobile or landline and 1.2p to send a text.

Data is 4.3p per mb based on standard EU rates (not o2 travel).

o2 Travel gives you unlimited data and 120 mins of calls and 120 texts per day for £1.99 so work out which is cheaper for you based on expected usage.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous Murcia sounds lovely! I googled some photos - it's looking beautiful. Wish I could also visit there one day. slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I've been there a few times and I love the place. My son and his family used to go twice a year and my late wife was forever hoping for an invite to spend time with the grandchildren. A little sad, a little ironic that when she died my son insisted I go and stay in the Villa they rented so I wouldn't be alone. He didn't realise how that actually killed me bit by bit but I went anyway.

Offtopic, sorry, but it is a beautiful place to spend time and if I hadn't chosen to live out the rest of my life as far away as possible from the UK, Murcia would have been one of my alternatives 

Message 9 of 9