Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data abroad - unable to use it

pdg54
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have been in Australia now for 6 days and have not been able to use mobile data.  On arrival I received a text from O2 stating that I could use mobile data at a cost of £4.99 per day if I phoned, text or used data.

Everyhting is switched to the correct settings, including 'Data Roaming' to on.

I have made two calls this evening to O2 and in the most recent one (at 1141 GMT) the agent instructed me to reset Network Settings.  The agent said he would call back in 15 minutes.  Having 'Reset Network' Settings' I now have no network and have 'SOS only', which of course means i cannot phone O2 to resolve the problem, and the agent cannot phine me to check!  I am worse off than before i tried to resolve the original probelm.

How do i get out of this loop?  I have no phone in Australia now.  There is no agent to 'chat' with online!

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pdg54
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

Apologies for not responding straightaway.  This was resolved after 1 hour and 20 minutes of Live Chat and well over three hours of trying to communicate and resolve with O2 by phone and Chat.  A total of five agents were involved and the final solution was very simple and I think could/should have been identified at the outset.

The issue it turns out was that O2 had put a restriction on my use of the phone.  The agent didn't tell me what or why!  This is all a mystery as i called O2 the day before travelling to make sure I was on the right deal and could use the phone in Australia.  

It also highlighted a longer term problem in that if one is having problems abroad then getting in touch with O2 Help can be difficult.  Myt time difference is 11 hours so when the agents are available, is when I am not easily able to talk!  I completed the solution at 2.00am local time.

So yes solved thanks, but not easily!  

For others its worth looking at different browsers to help get to Chat with O2.  Safara wouldn't at all yesterday, but Chrome did later in the process.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

You have the wrong data bolt on on your account.
Use live chat and get the correct data bolt on for your phone applied.
iPhones need iData and android / windows phones need standard data.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Restarting your phone or manually selecting a different network should get your signal back or find an internet cafe to use a computer to contact chat.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

pdg54
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks - I can't get onto Live Chat - how do i do that

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

I've just checked live chat and went straight in Live Chat

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 20

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you have an iPhone, change your data apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" and that should give you data access on a temp basis until you can get your bolt on changed.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 20

pdg54
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

All I get is '500 - Internal Server Error' message

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Can you try a different browser?
It's definitely working from here.
Did you try changing your apn as above?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

pdg54
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks i'll try that.

As far as Live Chat is concerned I've now got there without error message, but no-one responding as there hasn't been since i started this about 2 hours ago.

Thanks for your help

Message 8 of 20

pdg54
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Thnaks,

Same on different browser, no agent seems to be appearing.

Yes, changed APN to Mobile.o2.co.uk

Message 9 of 20

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Now turn phone off for a minute and back on again.
See if you get phone signal?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 20