Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile calling...

JoeSmith
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We're considering signing up to a couple of O2 pay monthly contracts for new phones.  We live in an area of poor signal quality however so Wifi Calling is essential.

We're currently unable to use Wifi calling because we bought our current phones through Carphone Warehouse and the firmware on it doesn't support the feature.  Wifi Calling would make our lives so much easier (we could stay inside the house to make calls and could even receive them indoors too!)

Our conundrum is that we can get the phone we want (Samsung A51) which supports Wifi Calling on an O2 contract through MobilePhonesDirect and it'll cost us £18.50 a month each with 30Gb of data.   Can anyone tell me if a phone bought through MPD on an O2 contract will have O2 firmware which will support Wifi Calling or will it be scuppered in the same as the CPW one due to firmware issues that don't allow it?  I know we can go direct to O2 and get the same phone but we get 1/5th of the data allowance and it'd cost us £17 a month more each and would cost £29 upfront for each phone too.  Add all this up and over the course of the two year contract we'd be out of pocket by around £900 so we'd like to be able to take advantage of the MPD offer but not if we can't make calls in the house.

Can anyone tell me whether the firmware we'd get from a Mobile Phones Direct phone will enable me to use Wifi Calling?

All the best

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@JoeSmith 

According to O2 help page, the A51 does not need O2 firmware https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

JoeSmith
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.  I do appreciate it.

So, to clarify your answer, does this mean that  it'll work with Wifi Calling (once I set it up) straight out of the box regardless of where I buy it?

Many thanks

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JoeSmith I believe you would have to have O2 enable WiFi calling on your account, which would mean a phone call. Not an easy feat at the moment.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

JoeSmith
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. I can deal with that.  Getting Wifi calling would be life-changing so worth the hassle. 

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

JoeSmith
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes. Good point. I do use Skype for calls on occasion and used to have a Skype number which was quite convenient but I need Wifi Calling so that I don't have to pay (some of the costs on Skype add up over a long call) and because I have elderly relatives who don't have mobiles and with whom I have to keep in touch so being able to speak to them using unlimited minutes across Wifi would be great.

Message 7 of 8

rayhan
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i would avoid mobiles phones direct, they are shambolic. i took a contract ut with them bak in november and i have had numerous problems with them which they still not resolved,  the price they advertise is not the price they will charge you so please read the small print, aslo if you have a cashback ffer they will give you excuses just so they can not pay you

Message 8 of 8