Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating number from PAYG to PAYM but service immediately lost

valeriecherish
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, hoping someone can advise. I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to transfer my PAYG sim to Pay Monthly.

For background, last week I moved my Giffgaff number to O2 PAYG but changed my mind and wanted to move to a Pay Monthly plan (I had misunderstood that the PAYG rolling plans including roaming in Canada where I will be for a long visit soon).

Anyway - I have had several calls with O2 to try and migrate my number to the new PAYM sim card but passed around as they said I was a 'legacy' number, I'm not sure why as I haven't been on O2 before (literally only a few days!)

This morning someone eventually said they had completed the form to migrate the number and it would take 24-48 hours. However, about 10 minutes after I hung up, my current PAYG sim card (e.g the number I want to keep) disconnected so I can't make calls/texts. It has not migrated to the new Pay Monthly SIM. 

Has something gone wrong or is this just the normal process? I was under the impression there would only be a few minutes between the old sim disconnecting and the number appearing on the new sim, but does this suggest I'll be without service for 24-48 hours? Could it have just started almost-instantly or is that too much positive thinking on my part?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 sorry me again. I've thought of something that may have caused this issue. Last week I moved my number from Giffgaff to O2 (let's say this number ends in 680). However my O2 app never updated from the temporary number that O2 gave me with the Pay as you Go SIM (let's call that 091). However, 680 was working on my phone for calls and texts. I decided to change my mind from PAYG to pay monthly and called to order this new package, but when the PAYM SIM arrived it was already working with the 091 number, it did not have its own temporary number. I called to move the 680 number to the new PAYM account - but maybe they think they have already moved my number across (eg the 091 one), hence my 680 number disconnecting. In which case, maybe they think there is no migration to complete? Does this make sense? Thanks

Message 11 of 21

MI5
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Yes, I guess that could cause a problem.

Probably a good idea to message O2 on social media to explain.

Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (X) (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 21

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh blimey. Have I explained it properly or is there a better way to phrase it?

Message 13 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Just say you want the 680 number on the 091 sim.

Keep it as simple as that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 21

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As dreaded, my number still hasn't migrated after 24 hours. I keep re-explaining the problem on the phone and they just don't seem to get it. I have been listening to the hold music again for 24 minutes while they do something else. I messaged O2 on Twitter and they replied after 6 hours just to ask if I'd tried restarting my phone. They haven't replied to my response. I'm at my wits end and missing calls from work colleagues and family members. 

I understand nobody here can help directly, but is there anyone on the forum with a direct link to O2 these days? 

Thanks for all your assistance.

Message 15 of 21

MI5
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

All avenues appear to have been exhausted here.

Can you help please?

Message 16 of 21

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 @Dave-O2 🙏

Message 17 of 21

valeriecherish
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This has miraculously started working again but OH MY that was a frustrating experience. Thanks @MI5 @Cleoriff for your advice. I hope I never have to call that bloody call centre again. 

Now I just have to persuade them to fix the typo they made in my name...

Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 124227 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Pleased it's working now. You can relax 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Good news @valeriecherish 

Message 20 of 21