Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messaging not working while roaming abroad

AdFog
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Currently in the USA (California)  with work, dusing the day at some point my phone will stop connecting to WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and iMessage although Safari, Mail and pretty much all other apps work perfectly. Then at 1600 (0000 UK time) everything will start to work again. I have contacted o2 numerous time to no avail, changing/resetting network settings etc has not helped. Any idea why this might be? The only thing I have noticed is that if I barely use my phone it doesn’t happen, could I be using too much data?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AdFog it's what O2 call their fair use policy. Anything over 50mb a day and the data is heavily throttled so you can't hardly use it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

AdFog
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That’s what I thought it could be, but things like safari and even data heavy apps like Instagram work fine. Literally only effects messaging apps.
I’ve been keeping track of data use and there doesn’t seem to be a real correlation, I’ve ised up to 200mb in one day and it’s been fine..
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, there's no logic to it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AdFogI think you did well getting 200mb in one day. Probably due to it being out of season.wink

Could you use more WiFi to message people over Skype, Messenger or Whatsapp (or does it still drop out then?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

AdFog
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sadly because of where I am I’m sat in the middle of the desert! Guess it looks like my phone is only getting used sporadically then, thanks o2 😂
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AdFog wrote:
Sadly because of where I am I’m sat in the middle of the desert! Guess it looks like my phone is only getting used sporadically then, thanks o2 😂

Good job I didn't say 'Wifi is plentiful and everywhere' @AdFog

I would have looked a bit of a berk....joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you upgraded or changed tariff recently. What apn are you using. It does sound like the 'normal' O2 throttling though.

Message 8 of 8