cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message not sent, phone number formatted incorrectly.

nfuller
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi! I'm based in the UK and I've been attempting to message an American phone number, but every time I do I receive the error message "Message not sent. Phone number formatted incorrectly."

This is with all international numbers, as I tried to message another American phone number too and got the same issue. I've tried restarting my phone, I bought the International Bolt-On just in case that was the problem, to no avail. I've tried formatting with +01 +011 and without either. I've used both the - (so for example 404-567-8789 and also 4045678789 *not the actual number obviously) and nothing is working. I've been trying for a month now and any searching on the internet has proved fruitless. I would call O2 usually but of course right now that's not possible. 

Would really appreciate some help with this, thanks to anyone who might be able to help in advance! slight_smile 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@nfuller 

It's +1 or 001

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

nfuller
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey, thanks so much, just tried it and while I don't get the error any more, it does still say "Message not sent. Tap to try again." So we seem to have fixed the formatting (thank you so much, feel quite stupid!) but it's still not able to send the message. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

Message 3 of 12

nfuller
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Now getting "Can't send message, O2 Error 8"

Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

nfuller
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think so? I got a text saying it had, and it says it's active on My O2, I've also restarted my phone twice since just in case. 

Message 6 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@nfuller Are you entering the correct area code of the phone you're calling after +1 or 001? US area codes are usually displayed like this: (212) then there are seven digits after that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@nfuller 

I'm just wondering if you have a spend cap conflicting with your bolt on?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

nfuller
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5  aha, you might be onto something there. I do have a spend cap on, of £0, so no additional charges. Any idea how I can go about removing this online? It seems to suggest that I can only change it by calling. Thank you so much for your continued help.

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@nfuller 

Unfortunately, you need to call customer service Guide: Spend caps on O2 

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12