Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Media Messages not included under 'unlimited texts'

I was on Simplicity 20 (£20 pcm for 400 minutes, 1000 texts/messages) for almost 2.5 years, and media messages were always included.

At the end of March, I saw online a new Simplicity contract was offering 600 minutes + unlimited texts (though I read this as 'messages') for £15 pcm if you signed up for a 12 month contract. When I called CS, they said looking at my usage, I should go for the 300 minutes tarriff (£10 pcm for 12 months). Probably best to mention here that at no point did they mention media messages weren't included in my 'unlimited' message bundle.

I just got my first monthly bill in and I've been charged for every media message I've sent - I'm just off the phone to CS and the guy says that no O2 contract includes media messages now, you have to buy a bolt-on (£7.50 a month). He also said that as I am now past my 'cooling off' period, to terminate my contract I would have to pay for the remaining 11 months charges.

Seeing as a) they had access to my usage and still recommended this tarriff, and b) the cheapest bolt-on offered will almost double my monthly charges, what can I do?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Amy
Anonymous

Media messages were never included in unlimited texts. Only when there was a quantity of texts included in the tariff. This is why lots of people had an unlimited text bolt-on as well as their inclusive allowance.
Its a difficult situation, because you didn't know, you didn't ask about them.
From O2's point of view, they would have looked at how many minutes/texts you use and saw how they exceeded the MMS you send.
So I don't think its your "fault" and I don't think its O2's fault.
I suppose its a reminder to always ask about things you use and not assume.
From a practical point of view, I think you should contact O2 (preferably in writing) explain what has happened and how it has increased your bills. Ask if you could go back onto your previous tariff or if they can accomodate you go some other way.
Anonymous

Ha! Someone beat me to replying to this as I was looking for the thread I created about being charged for MMM's!

Yes it is in the T&C's but when you are calling Customer Services I feel that such changes should be brought to the person's attention.

I called o2 again and was asking for my PAC code and after explaining the situation to them, they put me on a slightly different simplicity contract where I have been told my MMM's will be free... I have yet to double check my bill online just to make sure!

If o2 are charging £7.50 to get free MMM that seems a bit expensive... Voda only charge £2 for 50 MMM a month so unless you send a heck of a lot it is a cheaper option than o2.
Anonymous

I got put on the same simplicity tariff with inclusive mms. I don't get unlimited texts but i get 1,200 and mms is subtracted from them. I think the only reason I got this is because i transferred from a non-iPhone simplicity plan and they did me a deal. I have 2 simplicity plans on my account, mine is shown as 'O2 simplicity 20 for iPhone' and I get 600 minutes/1,200 texts with inclusive mms. The other is shown as 'iPhone simplicity 25' with 600 minutes, unlimited texts but no mms allowance.

Call them up and see if they'll switch you. I think they doubled my minutes for free too. Don't know if they'll do that for you but if they don't it's still £25 and covers mms.