Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make America great again

Bas78
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am super confused and I contatced O2 on this a few times with no result as I got a different answer every time.

I've seen an ad on a bus saying "make America cheap again on O2".

I googled it and there are some articles saying O2 will allow you to use your own date when in america, like it's right now when you go traveling in the euro zone.

so far the answers I got form O2 are 

NO, get an US sim while there or spend £4.99 a day

NO, your plan doesn't allow it only plans made in 2018 

Yes, but you can't download big data

I'm due a upgrade and don't mind renewing my sim only plan but only if it is certain I can use my data allowence while in the USA alternatavly I just go an other provider slight_smile

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bas78You can use your data allowance in USA...check this thread

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/4G-Roaming-Spain/m-p/1124501/highlight/true#M...

And here

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

Edited to add you will need O2 travel and it will cost you £4.99 a day (Only on contract)

If you've got a Pay Monthly sim, text O2TRAVELto 23336. If you've got a Pay As You Go sim, text TRAVELON to 21300.

It can take up to 24 hours for O2 Travel to be applied to your account.

Best way by far, is to use the plentiful WiFi available in the US...

A local sim will only help if you are ringing people in the US

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bas78You can use your data allowance in USA...check this thread

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/4G-Roaming-Spain/m-p/1124501/highlight/true#M...

And here

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

Edited to add you will need O2 travel and it will cost you £4.99 a day (Only on contract)

If you've got a Pay Monthly sim, text O2TRAVELto 23336. If you've got a Pay As You Go sim, text TRAVELON to 21300.

It can take up to 24 hours for O2 Travel to be applied to your account.

Best way by far, is to use the plentiful WiFi available in the US...

A local sim will only help if you are ringing people in the US

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As far as I am aware the only network which allows you to use data as part of your allowance in the US is Three with their Feel at Home plan @Bas78

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

This community guide may help you https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Contract-with-O2-Travel-Inclusive-75-Free-Countries-a...

EDIT

You do need to upgrade to the newest tariffs 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can get O2 Travel Inclusive on certain new tariffs.
O2 help pages explaining it here https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Welcome

Did the info above clarify the tariffs enough @Bas78 or do you need any further help with this? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 9

KMX
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I saw the same ad.  You need to be on Pay Monthly tariff of £20 per month or more on SIM Only, or 4GB and 15GB O2 Refresh tariffs.  This allows free use of your data in the US.  You also get 120 mins and 120 texts per day.

I was told I could upgrade, and then downgrade next month.

The best alternative (it has been my method of choice until now) is to get a PAYG SIM from Three.  If you top up £10 and then convert it to a bolt on (you MUST convert it) you get 300 mins, 3000 texts and 1GB of data.  The minutes and texts are for calls/texts back to the UK, not for local use.  You can top up online if you need more data while you are away.  One of the benefits of the O2 offer is that it includes Canada, which isn't part of the Three offer.

When I have used O2's inclusive data in Europe I have found it very slow.  I'm waiting to see what happens with the data in the US and Canada.  If it's slow, I shall immediately downgrade and buy a top up from Three.

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@KMXOne of our members @Bambino is from the USA. He always found Three Feel At Home tariff suited him better than any other when he travelled back to the States

At that time he said no other network or tariff came anywhere close to that one.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I believe EE now has a tariff similar to Three's, but Vodafone's roaming to the US and Canada is still very expensive. With any of the UK roaming tariffs it's expensive to make internal calls, and a local Pay & Go sim from T-Mobile or AT&T in an unlocked phone is the best alternative when in the US.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 9