Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS

Trex812
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but anyway...

I sent an MMS text to someone in my contact list today and they received the image and accompanying text that I sent them. However, this came from a totally unknown number that wasn't my own. My contact sent a reply back assuming I had a new number and got the response 'Who is this?'

This is very strange as I haven't changed my number and since then my text messages have been going through normally to this contact.

I did a live chat and got told this was impossible (quite patronising), so I rang O2 and the person helping me had no idea what I was talking about.

Anybody had a similar experience? Should I be worried about security? Or is this just a one time error that happens from time to time?

Would appreciate any answers.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess an old sim might give issues.
You can get a free replacement sim in any O2 shop, otherwise it will have to go down as an unexplained mystery!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Obviously this shouldn't happen. Have you changed sim card at all? What phone do you have?

Message 2 of 8

Trex812
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your reply.
I haven't changed my sim/number in years and I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8.
Very strange! First time this has happened.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess an old sim might give issues.
You can get a free replacement sim in any O2 shop, otherwise it will have to go down as an unexplained mystery!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A mystery yes, I can't think of anything to cause this on the S8 which is why I asked if @Trex812 had changed sim card.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I can't think of any reason why it would happen either.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Trex812
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, both of you.
I'm hoping it was just a one time error (maybe an issue with my service provider?) and no security has been compromised!
I will look into getting a replacement sim just to be sure!
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hope that sorts it for you but I certainly wouldn't worry about any security issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8