Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Charges if you want to send text to multiple people

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So by default now, android (or O2 I don't know which), automatically bundles a text message you want to send to multiple people into an MMS and charges 46 pence per frecipient.  What a friggin RIP OFF!!!!!

If creates a group, which isn't correct as all you want to do is to save yourslef typing the sam emessage multiple times by adding additional recipients to a simpel text message.

This really needs to be made much clearer to the user, as I have now been charged 92p for sending a simple 3 or 4 word text message to 2 members of my family.

I find it staggering this is charged for given most contracts these days come bundled with "Unlimited Messages".  If that's the case why charge for MMS unless there are pictures?  It just staggers me the little things networks do to make money off the end consumer.

Has anyone else been caught out by this? 

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@welshsteve76 Our help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@welshsteve76 Our help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @MI5

My phone has no option to simply turn off MMS as such, and the messaging app automatically makes a text message an MMS as soon as I add a second recipient, even if there is no text entered.

I am also unable to edit the APN as everything is disabled for editing.

My phone (Huawei P20 Pro) is quite customised, but I think I've found the option I need. 

Under Messages > Settings > Advanced there is an option to send mass text instead under an option "Group messaging", which I believe "should" send as individual text, although it isn't as clear as maybe it should be, and I wouldn't now want to risk being charged again, so I guess I'll never find out LOL

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you moan at customer services they will refund you anyway wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I thought FIVE texts or more were classed as group texts? (Not two)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Depends entirely on the phone. The o2 threshold is 5 but the phone may override that.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I remember with o2 you'd have mms to 5 txts lol and was free
Message 7 of 8

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics