cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to join O2 - any advice?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Looking to join O2 and will be porting my number from existing supplier.

I am interested in a 4g package with either a Samsung Galaxy Alpha or S5.

Does anyone have experience of a similar package?

I am particularly interested in knowing :

• How long the porting took?
  • 4G coverage (I live in South West London)
  • Helpfulness of staff in the shop
  • Any problems with the phone?
  • Quality of voice calls
  • Any aftersales issues?

Regards,

P.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'd suggest first trying out O2 via a payg SIM card to ensure you get good signal.

Check your masts here http://status.o2.co.uk via your postcode
Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You will get a barage of opinions both good and bad for all of your questions.
Advice as always is to check your area for coverage with a PAYG sim before committing to a contract and try the phones out in store before you buy.
I like the Alpha though - it's very stylish slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Don't rely on the service checker alone as it isn't very accurate - Non of them are as they are just computer projections of signal.
I've always found CS to be very good but we do hear that you get some that can't be bothered (fact of life?), if this happens it's best to end the call and call back to get a different advisor.
Shops that are O2 owned and not franchised also tend to be less pressurised from a sales point of view.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 92918 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely get a P&G sim first to check coverage in your home, work and normal commute area. Don't tie yourself into a 2 year contract without first researching. It's easy enough to get a contract but a devil of a job to get out of one if you have coverage problems. Don't go off the networks maps, they are a guide only and differently constructed buildings have varying degrees of signal strength.

Message 5 of 16

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Current 4G speeds in SE25 so near to SW16 12.9Mbps down 13.2Mbps so definitely check out P&G first

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you find you get a good signal on O2, also check out Tesco Mobile, which runs on the O2 network. Their prices are very competitive.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And one thing that you should know is if your joined O2 you should look at car phone warehouse first because you will get a much better deal.
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
And one thing that you should know is if your joinedO2 you should look at car phone warehouse first because you will get a much better deal.

As long as you don't want a refresh tariff and are entitled to any O2 discounts - Neither of which you can get from CPW......

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have advised, the most important is to check coverage where you will be using the phone.

There are a lot of us currently experiencing issues with service on O2.

If you know what handset you want, try looking at a mobile deal comparison site to make make sure you are getting the best deal! slight_smile

Message 10 of 16