cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a question. I've got a few phones on contract with O2, all in my name. Suppose I misplaced one of them, do o2 offer any service that would help me locate the phone or see it's location on a map? I visit several offices a day and rather than having to go through hassle of canceling a phone, blocking the IMEI etc, I'd rather just have a way of locating it.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most phones now have a way of locating a device yourself.

iPhone have "Find my iPhone", BlackBerry has "Blackberry Protect", and Android certainly has an app that I currently can't remember.

No need for O2 to locate it when you can do it yourself slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most phones now have a way of locating a device yourself.

iPhone have "Find my iPhone", BlackBerry has "Blackberry Protect", and Android certainly has an app that I currently can't remember.

No need for O2 to locate it when you can do it yourself slight_smile

Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 won't/can't but as above, you can do it yourself on any phone these days......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Android has a generic "device manager" available from Google play store.
Some manufacturers have their own services with more features such as Samsung dive and sony's my Xperia which are built into the phones firmwares and normally require one click activation or as easy as possible.
Message 4 of 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Blocking the IMEI would be done through customer services. Dial #*06# from your handset and log into your My O2 account to retrieve it along with the PUK code.

Depending on your handset, it may come with a tracking and report GPS co-ordinates. This is because with smart phones you have 2 or 3 ways to locate your phone - your Wi-FI server location, A-GPS, GLONASS and Cell Tower tracking. This may be enough to at least trigger your memory or relocate it.

Wtith Android and iOS you have location reporting and text/command functions which can trigger a handset lock, reset or wipe and can take a photograph and send it someone you trust.

https://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

http://uk.blackberry.com/apps/blackberry-apps/protect.html

Other things you can use is Comodo Internet Security, ESET Mobile Security and some others from the Apps market.

I hope that gives you some clues.

By the way, location might not work if the phone is turned off.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only issue I can see is as many now know about these features a person in the know would just turn off the phone and remove the sim hence cutting off data connection.

The good thing about the iPhone is you can also send a message, remote wipe it and lock it out if you send the commands in time before a person turns it off. Also a new feature is findmyiphone will send you it's last location before being turned off.
Message 6 of 16

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

When you login to the Google Device Manager, you can send commands like wipe and reset. Although I don't know how clever it is in the case of a SIM removal or someone resetting the systems from the fastboot system menus.

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the phone is off there's not much you can do. Similarly if the SIM has been removed and it's effectively "off the grid" then again not much you can do, however if it has a signal or is connected to Wifi you should be able to locate it.

Message 8 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A security app such as Lookout can prevent you from wiping a phone without entering your security code and it will also photograph a person who has made a set number of attempts to unlock a phone and send it to you via email.
There are, of course ways around this, as with any system, however, for the simple case of a mislaid phone they will assist in finding it's location easily.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 16

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Lets hope I never have to use it. It can locate your device up to a radius of 24 metres from it's actual location. Which is pretty good if you ask me.

Message 10 of 16