Did you mean: 

Living in Germany whilst having 02 contract

David714
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi.
I am moving to Germany in a couple of months, for one year. I am using an iPhone 10r with an esim, set up to use both my UK 02 number (inc rolling contract) and soon to have German number. I will be flying back to uk for work but living in Germany. Is it okay to keep my 02 contract going whilst living in Germany? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Hi @David714 

As you will be flying back to the UK, it  should be ok, dependent on how much time you spend in the UK and Germany..

Check out O2's Fair Usage policy

https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse

Roaming in our Europe Zone is included in your tariff, so you can use data, make calls and send texts just like you do at home. However, this service is only available for occasional travel (like holidays or short breaks), and not for long stays abroad.

Using our services in our Europe Zone for more than 63 days in any four month period is what we consider to be unfair use. If you do this, we’ll send you a fair usage notification by text. If you continue to use these services after we’ve notified you, we’ll apply surcharges for further usage that we recognise as over usage.

As you haven't said how your time will be split, the guide I have posted will give you the info you need to work this out for yourself.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Hi @David714 

As you will be flying back to the UK, it  should be ok, dependent on how much time you spend in the UK and Germany..

Check out O2's Fair Usage policy

https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse

Roaming in our Europe Zone is included in your tariff, so you can use data, make calls and send texts just like you do at home. However, this service is only available for occasional travel (like holidays or short breaks), and not for long stays abroad.

Using our services in our Europe Zone for more than 63 days in any four month period is what we consider to be unfair use. If you do this, we’ll send you a fair usage notification by text. If you continue to use these services after we’ve notified you, we’ll apply surcharges for further usage that we recognise as over usage.

As you haven't said how your time will be split, the guide I have posted will give you the info you need to work this out for yourself.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

David714
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi!
Many thanks for your response. It’s difficult at the moment to give an exact time frame as to how much of my time will be spent in each country.

Would it make a difference to use a pay as you go contract rather than a pay monthly?

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 11

David714
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is for at @Cleoriff
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@David714 

No difference. The same policy applies. You could even be worse off.

You may only use our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) for periodic travel, like holidays or short breaks. Your data usage may be limited in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) at a lower level than you data allowance in the UK if you’re a Pay As You Go customer. Once you go over this limit you’ll be charged. For these limits and charges please see www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/roaming-in-europe.

Scroll down to your obligations in the terms and conditions.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

David714
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Cleoriff

Oh wow, maybe not then re pay as you go. I think I may need to speak to someone further about my options. I really don’t want to lose my UK number. I’ve had it forever! I’m certain I’ll be in the UK often, for work and the odd weekends etc. Maybe I’ll have to see how it goes.

Thanks again slight_smile
Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@David714 

You do have an advantage of being able to use the German sim you mentioned in your first post. 

If you interchange these frequently when abroad the 63 days usage for O2 will take a lot longer to add up. 

You just need to take this into consideration wink

You wont lose your number either if you are still paying for your contract. 

Hope that helps.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

David714
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Cleoriff

Yes I will have a German number, but i wanted to use an esim, will that work the same as actually changing a physical SIM card?

Yes that’s true re interchanging, I will keep that in mind.

Okay great. Thanks again, massive help slight_smile
Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

If your phone is unlocked it won't make any difference which sim you use @David714 

Best of luck. Enjoy your extended stay in Germany. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

David714
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes I had my phone unlocked (or unlatched they called it) when I received an Esim @Cleoriff

Thank you. Wishing you all the best slight_smile
Message 10 of 11