cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like to switch phones but don't know best way to go about it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I got a new phone back in Sept '14 LG G3. Its now March/April and I've had issues with the phone freezing/being unresponsive and I've tried a number of hard resets but it eventually ends up happening again. I've also never really got ''used'' to the phone. I like Android, and I love how you can customize it etc, but I still miss a lot of things that I could do with my Iphone. And the fact I could use it with 1 hand if needs be! 

Anyway, I've been an o2 customer since I was 16. I'm now 24. I know with this refresh contracts you have to pay the total amount owed on the phone before allowing to get a new one. My issue is, 1) I've had issues with it and a simple ''repair'' from o2 isn't what I'm looking for since I still don't like the phone. 2) I've been a customer for a long time and never got any ''discounts'' so to speak, so was wondering if there's any way I can swing some sort of deal? 

It probably sounds quite cheeky asking if I could swing some sort of deal for a new phone/contract but to be quite honest to pay out of the contract is a lot of money and I don't want to be stuck with this phone for another 6+months. I was thinking about going into a store and going through my issue but I've been told by people that I won't get any such deals, however if I phone up I might be able to swing something? 

Just interested in anyone else's opinion on this matter, if it is possible at all to get some sort of let out due to being a customer for a long time (although I have a feeling they don't care about that) or if my only option is to just pay it off and start again, or wait it out. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
You never know unless you ask but I suspect the answer will be to pay off the phone and then you can start again.
You will get a 25% discount if you upgrade this way too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

One option is to get the phone repaired and sell it to allow you to pay off and start again.

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick responses from both of you. I think I'll give them a call and see what they can do, although I won't hold my breath. 

As for the repair phone, I could always send it in although if they feel there is nothing wrong with it I'll just end up with the same phone instead of a new one. 

I think my other option would be to recycle the phone I have now in order to help cover the cost of the coming out of the contract with them since selling it on eBay is another headache and they don't seem to go for much more second hand than they do for a recycle. 

Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Definitely give them a call , nothing to lose. Recycling is a good idea as long as you  get a good return. Any ideas what phone you want next?

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll give them a call tomorrow after I've slept on the idea. 

I'm looking for another iPhone, although I've heard that the sync and Bluetooth don't work as they should with Ford cars. I've got a Ford Fiesta with Bluetooth sync and voice command but after hearing/seeing the issues with people not being able to use the hands-free calling or the Bluetooth audio it puts me off. 

I was also thinking of checking out the HTC One M9 or the Samsung Galaxy S6, all of which aren't out yet. I think my problem is it takes me a couple months to actually really figure out if I get on with the phone or not and by that time it's too late. Although this LG is the only one I've ever had doubts with. 

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Switching Phones?

I have tried to call O2 to arrange an upgrade some 6 times. All from my handset, calling 202 

Each waiting at least 20 minutes, but never with a reply or getting past "Your call is important to us..."

It is most disappointing, and leading me to take my business elsewhere.

I have been an O2 customer for four years now, and I can only say the customer service is continuing to get worse.

I am looking for a competitive deal for an IPhone 6 64Gb. This seems beyond O2 at the moment.

If an O2 representative sees this, then i would like you to call me to discuss further.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
This is a customer forum mate so you'll not get a call back from here, unless it's some spammer that's seen your number so it's best if you remove it wink
We always advise to go in store to upgrade too as it's much easier.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8