cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving o2 - upgrade to 30 day sim to leave early?

Laura94
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all - I've been on a 12 month rolling SIM-only contract for almost 3 years and in February upgraded my data plan to 50gb, unaware that this meant I was signed up to another 12 months (originally my contract would've ended this month). I called up today and asked it I could cancel as I am planning to leave O2 and they've said I'll need to pay up until February 2019. However my account says I can upgrade now - so is there anything to stop me from "upgrading" to a 30 day plan and then cancelling once the 30 days is up? Seems like a bizarre system if that would work but I can't see anything that says it won't...

Any help appreciated!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Laura94 you can upgrade but I believe that you must pay what’s left on the existing sim only before you can upgrade 

Message 2 of 17

Laura94
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's saying on my account page "You can upgrade today" - so would that be the case even then? Seems weird they'd advertise that to me if it meant I could upgrade but pay for two contracts! I've attached a screenshot Screen Shot 20**Personal info** at 15.27.37.pngScreen Shot 20**Personal info** at 15.27.42.png

Message 3 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can only upgrade to a refresh contract for free but you can cancel that within 14 days and leave.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can only upgrade to a new Refresh contract, you cannot upgrade to a 30 day sim.

Upgrading to Refresh would probably mean there are fees to pay.

If you are within the 14 days change of mind period you can cancel the 12 month contract but if not then there is little you can do but see out the contract or use the upgrade to a new phone with a 2 year contract.

Message 5 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Laura94 February 2019 isn't all that far away. It would probably cost you more, and be more bother to upgrade, than to just ask for your PAC and pay off the remainder of your 12 month sim only contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

Laura94
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does that mean I'll have to get a new phone as well? Or are there refresh contracts that are airtime only? I bought my phone upfront from Apple
Message 7 of 17

Laura94
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't have a phone contract, I bought my phone upfront from the Apple store so I'm on a SIM-only plan. When I click on upgrade it lets me choose a 30 day sim, but I don't know if they'll then charge me for both/stop me cancelling the 30 day one?
Message 8 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Laura94 Refresh contracts are phone and air time. You don't want to go down that road if you're leaving O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 17

Laura94
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's still £200 - and another 4 months my 4G Apple Watch doesn't work with my phone (sigh!). Do you have any idea what the charges might be? When I go through to upgrade it lets me choose a £14 a month 30 days sim-only contract and doesn't mention any other charges - but not sure if I'm missing something?
Message 10 of 17