cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving O2 and keeping number

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot find it anywhere on site, other than a suggestion to call if you are thinking about leaving, but with the hours I am working at the moment this will be difficult.

All I am after at the moment is advice on the smoothest way to move to another network, keeping the same number, with as little downtime as possible.

My contract expires on 10th March and ideally want to start a new contract from that date with my existing number. How long does it normally take to receive a PAC number from O2 and as I have never switched a contract before (having switched between Pay Monthly and PAYG for a few years) is there anything I would need to do within a certain timeframe to make sure the switch happens on the day?

Thanks

Steve

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You should get your PAC within about 5 days but it's often sooner.

Once you hand this to your new provider it will allow your O2 account to be closed.

You can ask for it 30 days prior to the end of your contract minimum period, so on the 10th February.

If the PAC remains unused you will stay on O2 on a 30 day basis.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You should get your PAC within about 5 days but it's often sooner.

Once you hand this to your new provider it will allow your O2 account to be closed.

You can ask for it 30 days prior to the end of your contract minimum period, so on the 10th February.

If the PAC remains unused you will stay on O2 on a 30 day basis.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In addition to the replies given here, it sounds like you want a smooth handover from old provider to new...  

o2 should be able to give you a PAC code instantly, as long as you're in your notice period. However, after giving the PAC to your new provider, it will take 2-4 working days to get the number ported.  Be sure to take this into account.  You'll need to give o2 notice early enough so that the port process will be complete and you won't be billed for another month's pro-rated service, but not so early as to deny you usage of your final month's allowance as you'll be billed for a full month even if you leave on the first eligible day.  

Message 4 of 4