cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of Roaming Speeds (despite paying £6 per day)!

EBo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All!

I'm a recent convert to O2 and first-time poster, so hoping to get a little clarity on roaming... I took advantage of the Volt bundle, which came with an unlimited O2 sim and roam freely - which worked a treat in Dublin. However.....

I have just returned from Istanbul, for which I as happy to pay the extra charges (£6 per day) for roaming but the speeds were abysmal at less than 1Mbps 😱 Feels completely unfair to be charging customers for a service that O2 restrict to make near unusable and requires you to rake through the small print on the O2 website - which actually couldn't load at that speed! When I was able to check, there was still no clarity in individual countries, so am I right in thinking:

- If I'm in Europe, I should expect pretty good service as I found in Dublin or was that the exception rather than the rule?

- If I'm in a roam freely destination I should expect <1Mbps?

- If I pay £6 per day, I should also expect <1Mbps?

Unfortunately as a small business owner having my phone on goes with the territory but it does feel O2 are being economical with the truth in their marketing! As a comparison I had been to Istanbul using the old network and had no restrictions whatsoever, so it is clearly possible with other providers. 

Any help would be appreciated - thanks folks!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@EBo 

Speeds are not restricted in any EU country so that is the same terms as you get at home.

However, anywhere that O2 travel is used has a speed restriction of 0.5mbps.

Mentioned in the roaming T&C's. 

8 - There’s no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, so to manage traffic (including audio and video streaming) we limit the service to 500kbps.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@EBo Turkey is not part of the EU. This may help to explain it: Roaming in Turkey and Cyprus - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@EBo 

Speeds are not restricted in any EU country so that is the same terms as you get at home.

However, anywhere that O2 travel is used has a speed restriction of 0.5mbps.

Mentioned in the roaming T&C's. 

8 - There’s no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, so to manage traffic (including audio and video streaming) we limit the service to 500kbps.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

EBo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your responses folks. Essentially it seems anywhere outside of the EU, roaming on O2 is useless regardless of whether it is a roam free destination or a paid, £6 per day country?!

Seems completely counter-intuitive to me. I'd happily pay up for a decent service (even if the restriction was at a useable speed) but I'll now be forced to get a local sim or look into an e-sim from another provider, every time I travel outside of Europe. Surely O2 must be losing revenue by making roaming so restrictive?

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@EBo wrote:

Thanks for your responses folks. Essentially it seems anywhere outside of the EU, roaming on O2 is useless regardless of whether it is a roam free destination or a paid, £6 per day country?!

@EBo 

Yes, that is correct as covered in the T&C's I posted above.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Kazuto_Kirigaya
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So, if I go the the USA, I'd only get 0.5mbps? am I right in that? I'm a new convert from EE, where I got full speed in the USA on the same sort of thing, where roaming in the USA is included, i'm on 02's 30GB Plus sim 

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Kazuto_Kirigaya wrote:

So, if I go the the USA, I'd only get 0.5mbps? am I right in that?

Correct

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Kazuto_Kirigaya If you're going to be in the US for a length of time and will need data, get a Pay & Go sim from AT&T or T-Mobile. There are also many free WiFi hotspots, but you should use a VPN if you're going to avail yourself of that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8