Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of 4G in Italy

Moelder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

On a trip to Milan last week my daughter, who is also an O2 customer, had 4G but I did not. I have a lower data allowance to her so was this the cause of my lack of 4G? We were also on different networks during our stay. 

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Moelder
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

None of the suggestions solved my issue but they did prompt me to ring Customer Services where I discovered that O2 had inadvertently put on my account that I was using an Android phone yet had my phone correctly listed as an iphone. It was this conflicting information which caused my problem.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It would depend on the network you were connected to.
You could have done a manual network search to get the same one as your Daughter had.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Moelder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I tried to manually select the same network as my daughter but it was not listed in my available options.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Roaming networks are programmed into the sim so there's no reason for any differences unless your sim is so old as to not be updated with the latest networks or agreements.
Also PAYG and contracts would see differences.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Moelder Also does you phone support 4G?  What phone is it, is it updated to latest software.

Android phones especially if there running on older software or not updated will not always see the networks as 4G abroad. 

I had had a Samsung that knew three had 4G but refused to connect, I updated the software 2 days later and it connected fine.

also as mentioned older sims can cause the same issue as well.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 5 of 15

Moelder
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have an iphone 6S which I keep updared and have a 5GB 4G allowance 

Message 6 of 15

Moelder
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Updated not updared. 

Message 7 of 15

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Iphone can def see all networks and he status of them abroad,  the sim must be a older one then and mentioned.

if you just go into an o2 shop and advise them ur having issues with the sim. They will replace it for you. Or u can call customer services to send a replacement out the follow the instructions to transfer it over.

the sims are pre programmed with networks for using overseas.  So some networks are given priority over the others.

When you searched did you see those networks mentioned below,

iphone doesn’t show the networks quickly so you may have to wait a couple of mins then choose one

There are four network providers currently operating in Italy, with one merger and one new entrant scheduled:
  • TIM.
  • Vodafone.
  • Wind merging with Tre to WindTre.
  • 3 (= 'Tre') merging with Wind to WindTre.
  • [Iliad - expected to start in summer 2018]

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 8 of 15

Moelder
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you so much. That is most likely my problem as my sim is 4 and a half years old. I will do as you advise. 

Message 9 of 15

Moelder
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

TIM was not listed when I searched but my daughter was automatically connected to TIM when she turned her phone on at the airport after we landed 

Message 10 of 15