Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping same number on a different contract

Sarah2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, this can get complicated so please stay with me. Basically I have a O2 pay montly contract that has 1 month left on it, the contract is in my name but my husband uses the phone. A deal came out recently at Carphone Warehouse for a Galaxy S9 which he took out on O2 in his name, only issue is we know want to keep the number on the contract that has 1 month left (as it's very easy to remember). 

We've been in touch with O2 who told us to undertake a change of ownership and a number exchange. This didn't happen though and we keep hearing that it can't be done, this is apparently called 'churn' and costs the network too much. The only option open to us at the moment is to let the contract expire and lose the number that is easy to remember. 

Does anyone have some much needed helpful advice on how to proceed?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All you need to do is call O2 and ask them to migrate the old number to the new account.
This will end the old account and generate the final bill which will include a termination payment for the remaining month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All you need to do is call O2 and ask them to migrate the old number to the new account.
This will end the old account and generate the final bill which will include a termination payment for the remaining month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

charleem
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was always lead to believe that ports within the network weren't possible.

However, there is a work around...

Get the pac for the o2 number that's due to expire soon.

Purchase a pay as you go sim card for another network, any so long as it's not o2.

Activate the sim card with a top up, this'll cost you anything between £5 - £10 depending on their minimum top up.

Call the payg network and tell them you want to port in, give them the number you want to keep and your PAC.

After a few days the old number will be on the payg sim card.

Call customer services for the payg sim card and ask them for the PAC, if they ask just tell them you've changed your mind, you've got a contract instead etc etc

Call o2 with the PAC from the payg network and they'll have it transferred in a couple of working days.

Whole process takes around 10 days, it's not ideal and there's a bit of leg work, but it's worth it in the end when your number is important.  I've done this more times than I care to admit!

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@charleem wrote:

I was always lead to believe that ports within the network weren't possible.

You've been misled.

A simple call to customer service is all that is required.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yep, no need to swap to a PAYG on another network.
I have done this twice now (contract with a 3rd party and swap number to it) with no issues.
Well, apart from those of my own making (trying to swap before final bill was paid, but that's not o2's fault...)
Just make sure you are both there in case o2 want to speak to both of you.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They will definitely want to speak to both parties as the accounts are in different names.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Sarah2, and welcome to the forum Wave I hope the replies above help you understand better how to proceed with this, but please do keep us in the loop of your progress, and don't hesitate to ask if you've got any additional questions slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 13

Sarah2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is incredibly frustrating, called them twice now, requesting a change of ownership and a number swap, no problems they said. 3 days later nothing happened, called on Sat and the lady explained that the original request was entered on the wrong form, apologised and credited my account £10 for the inconvenience, then proceeded to fill in the 'correct' form, wait 24hrs and it would be down. 72 hrs later still no joy. O2 live chat is no use whatsoever, only to tell me the request has been rejected because my the change of ownership has not been processed. Does anyone at O2 genuinely have a clue what to do? How can a seemingly simple request get messed up so easily???!!!!
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There's no need for a change of ownership at all. You just need to give permission to migrate the number and your husband give permission to accept it.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

charleem
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is exactly the kind of problems that doing anything not within customer services' usual scope brings.

In all the time it's taken to faff about and still not being sorted you could have ported out and almost be ported back in by now!

Message 10 of 13