cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a Pay & Go Account Active

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  I've had the same UK mobile number for over 10 years, but this summer switched to O2 from T-Mobile.  I live in the States, so sometimes will go for a while without using my UK mobile.  I have received conflicting information from various O2 reps (through stores in London and York, phone reps, live chat) regarding how often I need to make a chargeable call to keep the account active.  I DON'T want to lose this number.  I've been told monthly, every three months, every six months.  Does anyone here have solid information on this?  As sub-questions, does it have to be a chargeable call or can it be a text?  If it's a call to someone else on the O2 network (a free call)--is that considered a "chargeable" call?  Cheers, Kirk

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
A chargeable call every 6 months and top up every 999 days....
Chargeable means it has to take credit from your balance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
A chargeable call every 6 months and top up every 999 days....
Chargeable means it has to take credit from your balance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  That dovetails with the info I have received through the online chat service.  The folks in the O2 stores seem to give a variety of answers to the question--depending on which employee you get.  I would hope that O2 would work at delivering a consistent message to basic information such as this.

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23145 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

You would think that they'd all be on the same page. Strange that they wouldn't know that in store. On the flip side to your situation, I use a T-Mobile Pay & Go account when I'm in the US. I have to top it up once a year to keep the same number. As long as I do that, it doesn't matter if I don't make a call, but that has never happened.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I would hope that O2 would work at delivering a consistent message to basic information such as this.

This is something we have been pushing for here too.......

Toby (Community Coordinator) will pick up on issues such as this and feedback where appropriate.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
We can but hope.
Message 6 of 6