Did you mean: 

Joining O2 Sim Only with no Credit History

HDIYL_N7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All, 

Apologies if this was posted before but I couldn't find a definive answer!

I'm new to the U.K with no credit history yet (I'm in the process of building some but again just moved here a few weeks ago).

I've been approved for a monthly SIM only with Everything Everywhere (ha) but I know O2 service is better in my area - I'm aware each carrier have different criteria and that's fine.

My question is:

I've been declined online for a 12-month sim only - do I have a better shot applying in store as they can verify my identity?  Just trying to save a trip to my local O2 store as I was under the impression a sim only would be easier to be approved.

I come from a market where security deposit is the norm for people with bad and no credit history so that they can have service. But I don't think O2 offer that. Differtent countries, different rules!

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HDIYL_N7 

It's unlikely that you'd be approved in store if you've already been refused.

O2 do offer security deposit options but only when certain criteria are met. 

You'd be better off going with EE to build up your credit rating then trying O2 again in 12 months time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HDIYL_N7 

It's unlikely that you'd be approved in store if you've already been refused.

O2 do offer security deposit options but only when certain criteria are met. 

You'd be better off going with EE to build up your credit rating then trying O2 again in 12 months time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

HDIYL_N7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was declined online because they couldn't verify my identity that's why I thought I might be approved with deposit at a store. Thanks for letting me know!
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HDIYL_N7 If it was purely due to identity checks you could try in store I guess, (although they could have called you to do this after applying online) but leave it a couple of weeks as the recent credit searches will also have a negative effect on it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Each credit check will lower your credit score so you need to wait a while if you are trying to build one. Going with EE and making regular payments will increase your rating.

Message 5 of 8

HDIYL_N7
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all! I really appreciate it - I'm kinda bummed EE was so easy to be approved for comparing to O2 but at least I can start building history.

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 do offer contracts with a deposit for those with low credit rating but I think the fact that you have only been in the UK a few weeks will weigh heavily against the minimum criteria required by O2.

Message 7 of 8

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Multiple searches for similar services in a short space of time won't do your Credit Score any good whatsoever. Build it up with EE then try again in the future. Don't forget however, that O2 have 'business criteria' too, so you could have a good credit score and still not be approved. 

Message 8 of 8