Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

JOB ENDS IN A MONTH

Hi, i took out a £25 a month mobile broadband contract not long ago, i've just been told my job will no longer exsist as of christmas, what can i do now? as you can imagine finding another job with the country in the state it is still is a nightmare,
theres no way i can afford this contract, but didn't expect my job to come to an end
any help would be appreciated
Anonymous

Re: JOB ENDS IN A MONTH

If you took it out more than 14 days ago I'm afraid there is nothing you can do, you are tied in. You can only drop your tariff once and only then at the mid point of your contract.
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

As above, not looking good I'm afraid. What you could do is try and find a good friend/close family member who is willing to take over the cost of the contract. Or maybe until you are in a better position.
However, be warned that you are still responsible for the contract and any costs they incur on the usage should they fail to pay.
Usual advice here is to ensure that you don't get into arrears with o2 as they tend not to be messed around over payments and will engage the services of a debt collector. If it gets that far, your credit rating is damaged. Best to talk to them as soon as you can.
Anonymous

Yeah unfortunately if you are out of the 14 day cancellation date then you do have to pay the bill up until the end of the contract unless you are willing to pay the termination fees which is from now up till the end of the contract.
Anonymous

Very tough situation for you.
I can't really add much more than the others have added here. O2 won't release you from your contract, but I do think that it's worth calling to see if there's a way you can be 'downgraded' to a lower tariff. Most of the deals now are £10 / £15 a month, so I'm surprised that you're paying £25.
I know it's not much use to you now, but it is for precisely this reason that many people that I know have saved 3-6 months living costs, as you never know how long you'll have your job for.
Your employer should pay you Statutory Redundancy, unused vacation, and might give you an additional (ex-gratia) payment. Some of these payments will be tax-free. Depending on your work situation between now and April next year, you might be able to claim a tax refund too (i.e. you will have been taxed assuming a full year's employment). Ask your employer if there are internal vacancies that you could apply for, and also find out if they'll be giving you outplacement support, which will help you find work elsewhere.
Anonymous

unfortunatly o2 won't lower his tariff they take a very firm stance with that they don't allow it until the midway point in the contract and even then you can only downgrade once to the next lowest tariff.