Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Issues with O2 and Credit Reference Agencies.

I have been in an ongoing battle for some 18 months now, all in an attempt to get O2 to correct information on my Credit File which I believe to be factually incorrect.

I have spoken to the O2 Data Controller, I've done a full Subject Access Request, I've reviewed over 6 years of invoices and I'm still at dead-lock.

Watchdog, Ofcom and Otelo are now all receiving the specifics of this case and I sincerely hope they can provoke a response worthy of a resolution.

I am still, and have been, an O2 customer for many many years now and their blatant "we will not budge" stance is somewhat infuriating!

I'm not sure what comes next should this not be resolved - maybe a day in court will spur O2 into action?? Who knows!

Thanks for reading Smiley Happy
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

I don't think O2 will hold a "credit file" on you.

If they check anybody they will use a credit reference agency, such as Experian or Equifax, who will send you a copy for a nominal fee, £2.00 last time I got one.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

This has only come up once for me over a year ago and honestly can't remember fully how it was resolved, but I'm sure you have to fax a copy of your credit report showing the disputed default to the debt assistance team and they will apply for it to be removed if it is justified.

What information is it?
Anonymous

Difficult to advise or suggest anything as you have done everything possible. As a matter of interest, what was the incorrect info and the timescale involved? Could you also tell us of the steps you have taken so far eg who did you write to, how long it took to reply etc. Your info will be of benefit to future readers.

I switched accounts a few years ago, still with O2 Online and still on contract but I changed to a new number, new account number etc etc and all was well.

Only when I recently, well late 2007 to be more precise, applied for a mortgage did I discover that I had 'bad credit'! When I received my credit file from Experian this bad credit turned out to be a Default placed by O2 for the princely sum of £83! Nice!

In communication with O2 they have told me correctly that they issued final bills etc (which I paid) and I had no idea any amounts were outstanding at the time. As I'm sure you can apprecaite, for £83 I would never, ever have let it escalate to Default stage.
Anyway the account in question, once paid up, I ceased using and never logged back into my online account as there was no need for me to do so.

O2 claim they emailed me on several occasions demanding the £83 and they may well have done, but how was I to know when as far as I was concerned the account was closed!?! Not once did they write to me through the post nor phone me on my new O2 mobile number!

So anyway, that's the stage we're at - I owe O2 nothing and never did, but they refuse point blank to remove the Default from my Credit File!

Perksie - correct they don't hold a credit file as such as they do not offer credit services, but they log account activity with CRAs which is somewhat of a contradiction!
Oh and they DO NOT have to issue a Default notice prior to issuing a default for that very reason.
Anonymous

As an interim measure you can put a note on your credit file that lenders will see, can't remember what it's called, that explains the issue and which may make them look beyond the raw fact of the disputed default.
Anonymous

As an interim measure you can put a note on your credit file that lenders will see, can't remember what it's called, that explains the issue and which may make them look beyond the raw fact of the disputed default.

This is very true and I have looked into this, however as most credit scoring is done via automated systems it would have no effect unless the company decided to do a manual credit check which I'm afraid is very unlikely.
Anonymous

update...

Well had an email today from 02 complaints requesting the full details of my issue, so maybe they've read this forum, who knows!

Anyway I am now compiling a full list of all the correspondence between O2 and myself to forward onto them.

Fingers crossed!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Anonymous

Re: Issues with O2 and Credit Reference Agencies.

My partner and I have recently applied for a mortgage, however the mortgage was denied due to a 'default' payment to O2, 5 years ago, on my partners credit report. My partner is a customer of O2 but has never once defaulted on a payment. 5 years ago, my partner was wrongly charged £179 for an upgraded handset which my partner had cancelled and returned within the 14 day period. O2 have records that they received the handset and have confirmed that the charge was an error on 02's behalf. However they failed to remove this from his account and consequently appears on his credit file. We have contacted O2, asked that this is removed, and for written confirmation of thier error to be able to reapply for our mortgage. So far we have received nothing. This has come at the expense of our mortgage and may jeopordise the purchase of our property, through no fault of our own. Thus far I have been very disappointed with O2's response.
Highlighted

Re: Issues with O2 and Credit Reference Agencies.

See Wanty's response above, her advice is usually spot on.