cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I would like to know why is that so difficult to get a contract with O2 to buy phone.  ? Why do we need an extra card prior get the payment section. .?  I have provided both card ( debit & credit ) with cash in both of them but my request FOR CONTRACT was declined with a message telling about my credit check. Well theN ONLY rich people can buy phones with o2? Because I am full time DHL worker and have a credit card ( no one can get credit card if has bad credit record) so how come my request was declined? Like this 02 loses customers as people go after other providers /companies to get the phone deal.  Best regards 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 use credit reference agencies such as Equifax . Maybe there is something on your credit file, maybe that feel you have too much credit already? You can check your credit file online but unfortunately no one on here could possibly know why you were refused. We are all customers here so maybe call customer service. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 use credit reference agencies such as Equifax . Maybe there is something on your credit file, maybe that feel you have too much credit already? You can check your credit file online but unfortunately no one on here could possibly know why you were refused. We are all customers here so maybe call customer service. 

Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123082 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. O2 do credit checks for all new customers. We have no idea what your credit rating is as we are customers like yourself. Too many attempts using a card will cause a fail if trying to buy online.

If you want to contact customer services for more information then call them here https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Or try instore. Take proof of ID and utility bills. You may have better luck then...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous this is not O2 you are talking to nor do O2 read the posts on this forum. This is a customer forum and we are all customers here.

I cannot answer as to why your request for a contract was declined. Neither I nor any other member of the forum has access to this sort of information. I can certainly tell you that I am an O2 contract customer and am far from rich. I'm a 72 year old pensioner who is comfortable but rich, no.

O2 have the right to refuse credit and do not have to inform you as to the reason(s) why.

You are, of course, well within your rights to try another mobile operator and I wish you luck, and hope you eventually get a mobile contract and a phone you like.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

But do remember that every application whether with O2 or another network will have a negative effect on your credit file. You would be better off waiting a month before making any further application. If you go instore they will do another credit check. As explained by @Cleoriff too many repeated requests will only be met with declines. 

Message 5 of 6

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Lots of information about the credit checking process here @Anonymous https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/O2-Credit-Files-amp-quot-Credit-Scores-quot-What-does-it-all/ba-p/1072523 

The value of the contract you are applying for can sometimes play a part, particularly if it's a very high value handset/tariff option - I know people think that a phone contract is/should be the easiest form of credit to obtain, but with some flagship handsets you're asking for potentailly £1000+ worth of hardware with a minimal upfront payment, and on top of that you could be committing to over £1000 in tariff payments over the minimum term (plus any usage charges) so it's a fair amount of credit being applied for, and understandably as responsible lenders O2 have a duty to ensure they only grant credit where it's appropriate. There's also a commercial aspect, in that it makes no sense to lend where there's a reasonable prospect of the repayments not being met.

One possible solution is to think about taking a Sim Only contract to begin with, which will allow you to build up a positive payment history with O2, and ultimately you'll be able to upgrade to a Refresh deal including a handset without the need for a further credit check (O2 do reserve the right to credit check at this stage, but would not usually do so).

Hope that helps a bit. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 6