cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the upgrade really “on us”

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right this is a long one. Firstly, hello all. Now, a little over 12 months ago I upgraded to the iPhone 7 Plus 128gb to the upgrade on us tariff. Now at the time I paid extra upfront for the larger memory. On completion of the deal I asked if the “on us” bit was exactly that? Ie would I have to pay upfront again? No! They said. Was that a lie? To get me signed up. I think so now as I’m asked for another upfront cost to upgrade. So really what is the difference if I had a normal tariff and I paid the remainder off and this tariff. Both I can upgrade on. Seriously thinking of leaving o2 after being wit them since 18 when they was the other company.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions
5 REPLIES 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
There's a huge difference between "device amount left to pay" and "upfront payment"
But either way it's never "on us" as you have to give your old device back.
It's pretty simple tbh
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You hand the phone back and O2 clear your device plan, that's all.
https://www.o2.co.uk/on-us?cm_mmc=googleuk-_-PPC_Direct_Handsets-_-Handset-Upgrade-O2-_-Upgrade-Phra...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

It's in the links but bear in mind that this whole process needs to be done instore and everything will be explained to you. At that stage you will be able to decide whether to upgrade or rethink your options. 

Message 5 of 6

bexinthecity
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

You'd have to pay the upfront cost regardless - all the upgrade on us does is pay off your old device plan when you go to pick up the order (has to be done click and collect).

You can do it online or instore (just don't do it on the my o2 app as that had me opening another contract. I did it on a PC and it went fine).

Message 6 of 6