cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for o2 to request card details including cvv for direct debit?

Wanny89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm starting a new sim only deal and they requested cvv along with other bank details. Is this normal? I'm worried I might get scammed.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions
Message 11 of 21

MattieT
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah I made a complaint on 8th Sept, followed it up on 25th Sept, and again this morning - and not had any response back yet..

I only moved to O2 in early Sept!

Message 12 of 21

Oxonian
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@MattieT 

I think that Resolver might be your next step :-

How to Complain | Help | O2

Message 13 of 21

fuqa2
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Firstly I have been with O2 for over 20 years.

I called O2 yesterday initially to have my PAYG SIM reactivated as they keep deactivating it even though it is used a lot. Still waiting... I use this for authentication for one of my email accounts and can't access my email, thank you O2. I called them again today and was informed they only action this Monday to Friday!! Why wasn't I told yesterday.

I also want to upgrade my PAYG SIM only contract and during the call the advisor spoke at 100 miles an hour, I kept asking him to please slow down as I wanted to hear what he was saying before I agreed to the new tariff. O2 still haven't updated my new adress which I submitted over a year ago, and each time I speak with an advisor and ask them to do this it is not done.

It got to a part where he said he was turning the recording off and then asked me for my long card number, my account number and sort code. I have never been asked for these before when changing my tariff as I have a standing direct debit with O2 and when I change tariff the amount just changes, I don't need to provide any further bank or card numbers.

For me this sounded the alarm bells. I told him I wasn't proceeding, he was very disappointed, and I rang off.

The offers are also much cheaper when you call than choosing an option online. As O2 outsource to a call centre and some of the staff are abrupt and just want to close a deal or pass you off to a different team as soon as possible, I find trying to get the correct support very annoying. Some staff are way more helpful than others, but you can't always get through to them.

O2 please improve your service, you've gone down hill.

Message 14 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11456 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@fuqa2 

First off it you have PAYG you do not have a direct debit you have a Continuous Payment Authority, which is completely different to a direct debit. 

Secondly under PCI rules call centres are not allowed to record Card Details been passed over the phone, this is to protect the customer, this is completely normal and to be honest more call centres will pass you to another line to make the payment, then transfer you back, some don't they hit a button which blanks out the card number as you read it out...  

If you are PAYG You are not on a contract, so just get some sim cards from other networks and move simple as that, you just need to get your PAC code from o2..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 15 of 21

fuqa2
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

Thank you for the reply. Sorry that should have read 'upgrade my monthly contract SIM', not PAYG SIM. I know the difference it was a typo. As I said O2 have not asked me this before for when changing my tariff under my direct debit. I get turning the phone off so details are not recorded, but I'm not prepared to give every single bank and card number, expiry date and security number over the phone when they've never asked for these before. Thanks for your suggestion but I'll be staying with O2 for both SIMs, but will be going to an O2 shop to get my SIMs sorted.

Message 16 of 21

Oxonian
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@fuqa2 

Going to an O2 retail store is an option, but you might not get the most competitive prices whilst on the High Street :-

Store locator | O2 UK | Find Your Nearest O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/

An alternative is to upgrade via Uswitch :-

SIM Only Deals: Compare our best in December 2023 - Uswitch

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

I have never used Uswitch myself, but I understand that this is a wholly automated system that takes you to MyO2 to complete the upgrade ; so that avoids giving your personal details to any individual.  

Message 17 of 21

fuqa2
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your suggestion, I used Uswitch and was redirected back to O2 to the 'non visible' offers and upgraded to the tariff I wanted using my existing direct debit and did not have to provide any bank or card details during the process. Result!

Message 18 of 21

Calrid123
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To be honest I would never give my cvv over the phone it's so open to fraud, I had O2 phone me, and asked for it and I just hung up on them. No way on Earth I am giving that out, not even if they were standing in front of mr asking for it, the Bank does not even know it. It's actually sad that they even ask since they have no right to ask whatsoever for that information. Even the bank would never ask you that.

Message 19 of 21

Oxonian
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@fuqa2 

I am glad you are sorted ! 

Message 20 of 21