cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for o2 to request card details including cvv for direct debit?

Wanny89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm starting a new sim only deal and they requested cvv along with other bank details. Is this normal? I'm worried I might get scammed.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11456 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@Wanny89 

Yes if done on the website, it is used as another step of verification, and the £1 gets refunded straight back to you, in a store you would be asked to use your card via chip and pin.. 

All networks do this..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 21

Wanny89
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, but it was over a phone call and they had called me back which was what made me suspicious

Message 3 of 21

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11223 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Hi @Wanny89 

Welcome to the o2 Community forum 

I understand your concern.  It's very worrying now even talking to legitimate people.  

If you are still concerned perhaps you could pop into an o2 shop.

Good luck 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149041 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28463 Solutions

@Wanny89 

If you think you’ve been the victim of fraud – whether it’s because you’ve given details to someone over the phone, or clicked on a link in a suspicious text or email there are things you can do:
Contact your bank if you think you may have given out financial information. They can help protect your account and stop transactions.
Change your account and online account passwords. Not just your O2 account. All of them.
Forward fraudulent texts to O2 for free on 7726.
Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Call your Virgin Media or O2 customer services number if you think somebody’s taken out a contract using your details.
Virgin Media customers can phone 150 from their landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.
O2 customers can call 202 from their O2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

You can block the number that called you, or any number you think may be suspicious.

How to block a number:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

There are also these links to look at:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 21

MattieT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A similar thing happened to me recently and it felt very suspect even though I called them on the official number. First they explained the CVV was for a credit check and then when I questioned this they changed and said it was for a direct debit. I wrote a complaint to O2 a few weeks ago as this felt like a scam, but not heard anything back yet

Message 6 of 21

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23946 Posts
  • 1044 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@MattieT If you initiated the call and were using a number from the official O2 website your concerns are unfounded. If you give O2 a credit or debit card number over the phone, they need to be able to verify that you are who you say you are, and to do that they need the CVV number of the card you've given them. If they don't have that they can't authorise any transactions.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 21

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Wanny89 

Please take careful note of the words of @Bambino :-

"If you initiated the call and were using a number from the official O2 website...."

Please do not click on links in text messages or e-mails sent to you and  do not return a missed call purporting to be from O2. Something called "number spoofing" can make it look like O2 are are 'phoning you when it is actually a call from a scammer.  

Message 8 of 21

MattieT
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino @Thanks for the response. My concern is they didn’t even need my credit/debit card for what they were asking for -  a basic credit check (needing name, address etc) or a direct debit mandate (needing sort code and account number). I realise it’s standard practice to stop the call recording when sensitive financial information is given, but something doesn’t feel right when the recording is stopped and then an unnecessary level of information is needed with card details, expiry and CVV. If agents are asking for this stuff they need to be able to articulate why it’s needed and the reason they gave didn’t stack up..

Message 9 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93922 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Over 25 years with O2 and I have never been asked for my CVV number except when topping up a PAYG account

I think I would be looking at getting that card blocked and a new one issued unless it's your only debit card

Only takes a few days to receive a new card in the post

Message 10 of 21