cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a refund possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm a new O2 customer as of Saturday 4th Oct.

I was told my first bill would be sent in November. However, I now have a bill due for £6.50 for MMS I sent, but they were only SMS messages telling people what my new number is.

Can this mistake be refunded please? I know it's not a big amount, but that's not the point really...

Thanks,

Liz

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

We are all customers here.

Speak to customer service on 202 or live chat.

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

They may reimburse you this time as a goodwill gesture.

If you sent the same message as a group sending it may have shown as a mms. Try not to send to more than 25 people at a time.

Help link http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Did you send them as group messages? If so it's possible they went as mms messagescharged at 35p each.

Some info here : Accidental MMS Sending and How to avoid it by MI5 - Here

It's possible if you speak to customer service and explain they may refund some of the charges or you could try live chat.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alternatives such as imessage,bbm, viber, e mail or whatsapp would not carry this cost but obviously would be dependant on the other parties having these downloaded too.
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You can ask for MMS to be removed from your account too if you wish?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , as a refund no, if it's done it's as good will and they will only do it once so

I though I would just add some useful information for the future, so that the same doesn't happen again and you end up with more extra charges.

How can I stop my text messages being sent as a MMS (picture message) on my Smartphone?

Below is a list of reasons why a text message is sent as a MMS (picture message) and how you can avoid this.

1. Text messages to email addresses - Don’t use an email address in the ‘To’ box when creating a text message.

2. Text messages sent to multiple contacts which include email addresses and mobile numbers – Send to mobile numbers only. If you need to send to an email address send it separately.

3. Using subject headers – Don’t use subject headers

4. Contact cards – Don’t send contact cards

5. Long Messages – If you’re sending a message with more than 360 characters, send it as 2 messages. There is a character counter on most phones that you can see when you’re writing a text message.

6. Smiley faces or emoticons – Don’t use smiley faces or emoticons.

7. Sending to more than 25 people – Try breaking the message up into smaller groups

8. Attachments (pictures, videos, sounds, music, drawings and locations) – Don’t add any attachments to the text message.

Note – Your phone will tell you if it is changing your message to an MMS (picture message). Keep your eye out for it and don’t ignore it.

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  A good guide. However, not sure if you are aware but we already have a help topic relating to SMS/MMS wink

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

(Compiled by @MI5 )

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Thanks for your help on this.

Looking at the message I sent, it does have in brackets 'no subject' so it seems I've accidentally made an SMS an MMS by not putting in a title - yay!

I shall throw myself on the mercy of O2 customer service and see what happens - that'll teach me for getting a new handset... Sigh.

Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
We've known them to be lenient before as we all have hit learning curves.
Message 10 of 12