cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is O2 Refresh here to stay?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We all see contract deals come and go but do you all think O2 Refresh or the concept of it is here to stay?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2013/11/08/o2-refresh-tariff-drives-growth-for-operator-in-q3/

With it being a sucess so far I think it will stay

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

We are all customers here and therefore we cannot tell you with certainty whether O2 Refresh will stay or go.

Things may change.  Something may replace O2 Refresh.  Nobody knows what the future holds....

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I think that refresh is going to change things, but over a period of time.  Right now, its swtiching O2 from subsidising handsets to not.  Eventually...where I see it going is that O2 will stop selling handsets completely and be a sim only network, without stores. 

You'll buy a phone from apple, or carphone warehouse, or phones 4u and the airtime will be handled by O2.  Maybe other networks will follow suit, maybe they won't, but I think refresh is the first baby steps in that direction.

Message 4 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well it will stay for the next two years at least, guaranteed! Happy Dance

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Subsidising handsets involves billions of £ of subsidy and cashflow. Mobile operators have, across the globe, been trying to find ways to reduce subsidies.

I don't think o2 will stop supplying handsets but I do think the days of free handsets may slowly come to an end in return for cheaper airtime agreements.

O2 refresh I think is the start of this process.
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
As Perksie said it's here for the next 2 years weather it will still be owned by O2 in that time we don't know I still suspect a 3 takeover
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
A 3 takeover could be game changing in the UK.

3 have a 41% market share of data on their 3g network. Not surprising given they offer unlimited data.

But Tekefonica owe around €50bn in debts and are a net seller of assets. .....
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I'm not keen on it myself I had a contract with 3 once never again worst customer service you could imagine and you have to learn a new language to understand them slight_smile
Message 9 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A 41% share of what data?

They only have a 10% overall share of the UK market.

There is also competition to be considered, Ofcom may not be happy either.

I'll suggest an approach from across the pond, maybe AT&T.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 14