Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone upgrade

GW916
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today my wife was offered discount on her tariff by O2, which she accepted. She logged into her account a few hours later (to check the new rate) and saw she had confirmation of purchasing an iphone for £1149.00. No mention of phone during the tariff discount discussion. Called O2 and they are talking about "scammers" yet the billing for this unwanted phone will be through O2? Go figure.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@GW916 

It's a common scam in order to get a phone that they won't be paying for.

You need O2 to cancel this order immediately.

It also needs to be reported to action fraud https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ 

If the phone does turn up at your address you need to take delivery so you can return it to O2 and not to the fake policeman that may turn up to intercept the delivery.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@GW916 

It's a common scam in order to get a phone that they won't be paying for.

You need O2 to cancel this order immediately.

It also needs to be reported to action fraud https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ 

If the phone does turn up at your address you need to take delivery so you can return it to O2 and not to the fake policeman that may turn up to intercept the delivery.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10140 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2999 Solutions

@GW916 

Your wife has been scammed as it wont be o2 that called them , and your wife has given them the keys to the castle by providing the pin number, so they had full access to the account. 

I would report this to Action Fraud via https://actionfraud.police.uk 
Also contact your bank, and keep an eye on your credit report, as they now have all your personal data.. 

Unfortunately they do it to get hold of the device.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@GW916 

Change your password for the MyO2 account too and any other accounts that use the same password.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

GW916
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the advice. She did not give her pin over the phone - nor was it asked for. They knew everything about her account though (maybe hacked?). The question is: how can a scam transaction turn up in the O2 system and who benefits (how do they extract funds)? Unless they plan on stealing the phone when delivered? Maybe very simple, but it's perplexing to me.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@GW916 

As I mentioned above.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

If you get a delivery date and time, look for anyone trying to intercept the driver outside your home

Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Although it could just be one of O2's  'trusted' partner companies and a rogue salesman bumping up his commission with bogus sales

Message 8 of 8