Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Iphone - no coverage and no use!

I just need to let off steam.....£35 per month and no coverage for it! I am fuming. :robotmad:

I moved home recently, iphone worked fine before this....new home shows mast within 2.5 km so coverage should be a problem.

However, I go home and the phone goes dead - no signal and can't use either phone or internet.
O2 customer service not helpful at all. If I want to cancel, it will cost me over £700. I cannot believe they will charge me this when I can't even use the phone and their is no activity on my account.

Have just been put through to 4 different people and I'm still no further foward in sorting this out. Any advice please???

Cheers,

Jean
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just because there is a mast 2.5 km away does not mean that it will supply you with a signal - there are a lot of factors that need to be taken into consideration. I have a mast less than 1 km away and my phone regularly connects to one much more distant.

First things first -

what does the O2 coverage map give for your postcode?

Does the phone work outside of the house?
Highlighted
Anonymous

02 coverage says 'high' and the phone works fine when I am not at home, the moment I get home, it goes into search mode and i have no bars to indicate a signal or coverage.

Even the email address I was given to complain has now bounced back saying it doesn't exist.

Customer Service is beyond poor...(in my opinion)
Highlighted
Anonymous

The fact is, the phone worked fine when you took out the contract at your last address. o2 give you 14 days to check this out amongst other reasons.

It's your choice to move house and it's not o2's responsibility to ensure you can get a signal at your new address. o2 are still carrying out their obligation by providing you with the service, whether you're able to use it in your current location or not.

My friend here at work moved within Leeds (on T-Mobile) and could not get a signal in his new house. He had to accept that was a consequence of the move and there was nothing that could be done, and is now at the end of his contract and looking for a new provider. His phone still worked in other locations of course. Granted, you can't find another provider if you stay with the iPhone.

I know it's expensive to buy out your contract, but I do believe that's the best offer that o2 will give, they're not even obliged to offer that.

SV
Highlighted
Topics: 294
Kudos: 1,848
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,312

Ok it says high on coverage map.have you tried to turn 3g off when at home and see if that helps.

Also on sitefinderon the ofcom site what type is the nearest mast i.e gsm or utms or both?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Keep in mind too that even if the coverage map shows that there should be a signal in an area it doesn't guarantee that you'll get a signal in every single place in that area, it's common to find dead spots etc etc, the coverage map tends to be of an area's signal in general, again why you have your first 14 days to make sure you're happy with the coverage etc etc.

Do you get a signal outside? You may find that the signal isn't penetrating the building. This is more common with older houses (Victorian etc etc) with thick stone walls.

Was the email address you were given complaintreviewservice@o2.com? You may have sent your email with 'complaints' instead of 'complaint' it's an easy mistake to make. If you send it to the right one you'll get an instant reply acknowledging your email and giving a checklist of the security info they need you to include.