cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very upset having never missed a payment in 18 months i am not allowed to add the iphone 10 without a deposit of almost £600 returnable after i have paid for 3 months like i said i have never missed a single payment in 18 months i feel insulted and will be leaving at the end of contract
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 will do a credit check when you add a phone. When you upgrade there is normally no further credit check. 

Your credit file will list all current and available borrowing you have. Anything such as a mortgage and any credit cards you have whether you have a balance or not will show. The higher the credit card limit the more borrowing potential you have. These checks are there to protect O2 or any lending company and also to protect yourself.

If they feel that you may overstretch yourself and that you may not be able to make your payments they will ask for a deposit which will be returned after they see regular payments for both accounts.

I agree, £600 is a hefty deposit but the iPhone X is a top of the range £1000+ phone and with the monthly payments over the length of the contract, that's a big credit commitment. O2 need to know you can meet this commitment.

People's circumstances can change, sometimes for the better but sometimes financial crippling. You can understand why O2 want that kind of deposit. 

I certainly wouldn't be able to get a phone on credit now. My circumstances changed disastrously in one second of sheer stupidity by someone so I'm speaking with bitter experience. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousDo you mean the iPhone X? Are you looking to upgrade or adding another phone to your existing account?

I think O2 need to make sure customers are able to make payments so they might be asking for a large upfront deposit

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 will do a credit check when you add a phone. When you upgrade there is normally no further credit check. 

Your credit file will list all current and available borrowing you have. Anything such as a mortgage and any credit cards you have whether you have a balance or not will show. The higher the credit card limit the more borrowing potential you have. These checks are there to protect O2 or any lending company and also to protect yourself.

If they feel that you may overstretch yourself and that you may not be able to make your payments they will ask for a deposit which will be returned after they see regular payments for both accounts.

I agree, £600 is a hefty deposit but the iPhone X is a top of the range £1000+ phone and with the monthly payments over the length of the contract, that's a big credit commitment. O2 need to know you can meet this commitment.

People's circumstances can change, sometimes for the better but sometimes financial crippling. You can understand why O2 want that kind of deposit. 

I certainly wouldn't be able to get a phone on credit now. My circumstances changed disastrously in one second of sheer stupidity by someone so I'm speaking with bitter experience. 

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's a large commitment as a standalone contract but @Anonymous has indicated they are 'adding it' which infers they already have an existing contract running. Not surprising that O2 are asking for a large upfront payment.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 5