Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad not receiving ordinary texts

Helen11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. I’ve set up my new iPad ok and put the sim in from my old iPhone. My new tariff is up and running with o2. I can only appear to send and receive iMessages. And not normal texts and am not receiving code notifications from Apple either. I have tried switching off mobile data and WiFi and rebooting device as o2 said. Any ideas? Help much appreciated
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions

@Helen11 

iPads are data only so can only receive iMessage or whatsapps etc, not sms messages.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Helen11
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The box in messages and Apple ID in the settings says I can send and receive from my email address and not my phone number. When I try to add my phone number in Apple ID it wants to send me a code which I can’t receive.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions

@Helen11 

iPads are data only so can only receive iMessage or whatsapps etc, not sms messages.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Helen11
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. It’s an iPad Air and I receive 100 texts as part of my tarif. Does this mean I can send and receive sms. Or is it still not the case
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions

@Helen11 

The 100 free texts come with every data only sim, but they are useless on an iPad I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Helen11
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah Thankyou. That’s great. Now I know 🙂
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7