cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intrrnational Usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am struggling to find a bolt on for the USA for a 4 day trip on a monthly contract - can anyone help please?
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry, but there is no bolt on for USA.
But you can download Tugo and use it over Wifi for free http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

This will show what the costs are http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Maybe be an option to unlock your phone to all networks and use a local SIM card.

Edit to add link http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry, but there is no bolt on for USA.
But you can download Tugo and use it over Wifi for free http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also suggest turning off Mobile Data in your phones settings to stop accidental connection to a Network in the States, and use Wifi where you can.
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
and dial 1760 to turn off your voicemail before leaving the UK....
You can dial 1750 to turn it back on when you return.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This might sound like an off the wall solution, so if I'm wrong, can @MI5 correct me.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you (and you'd have to make sure your phone is unlocked or you can unlock it) to get a Pay & Go sim from Three, and divert your calls to the Three number while you're in the US. 

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...

You can use the Three sim in the US with no roaming charges and use the minutes, texts, and data you buy on the Pay & Go sim as if you were in the UK. The people you call in the UK would just see a different number from your usual number on their caller display. To be absolutely honest, I don't know if this would work. I've never done it. It's just a thought that popped into my head, but as you're only going for four days it might be worth trying.

I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to the Three site, but the page you want to look for there is called 'Feel At Home'.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
In theory that would work Bambino as the forwarded calls would be forwarded to a UK number there would be no charges and no charges from Three for roaming in US - Good idea and definitely needs testing out slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
In theory that would work Bambino as the forwarded calls would be forwarded to a UK number there would be no charges and no charges from Three for roaming in US - Good idea and definitely needs testing out slight_smile

Well I suggest that when @Bambino pops over to New York next, he tries it out and reports back. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Well I suggest that when @Bambino pops over to New York next, he tries it out and reports back. wink

I would be happy to try it @Cleoriff but I probably won't be going over until Spring. Add to that I'm with Tesco Mobile now, and even though they use the O2 network, I'm not sure if they do Call Divert. I'd have to check that out. 

By the sounds of it, I think the OP will be going over sooner, and as there is no bolt on he can get, it might be worth him testing the theory out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well they wouldn't lose anything by trying...... As you said they are only going for 4 days.

If they do decide to try what you suggested, I hope they come back and let us know the outcome wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13