cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection in Mercedes C Class

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my car has the ability to connect to the internet through my Iphone 6  pay monthly. The car pairs with the phone using bluetooth no problem, and making and receiving calls is fine. The issue comes when i try to connect to the internet. The message is 'Data communication is temporarily unavailable'. This also happens with my work samsun phone also on O2. But with the Mercedes dealership, we got all different phones on all different networks to work with no problem. It is purely O2. Mercedes say they are not aware of anything, so i am trying so far unsuccessfully to get some thoughts or answers from O2.

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

Joining the list of O2 users who find "internet connection temporarily unavailable"

MB dealership say that that there are staff members with O2 contracts who are successfully connecting.

Unfortunately I don't have the car just now as the whole COMAND system is down and with the dealer; but:

I also have a 4G ipad on a 3 contract - if I were to pair this as well as the phone, could the Merc take the internet from the ipad and still work with the phone for everything else?

Nokia Lumia 930 Windows phone + O2 4G contract + 2016 C Class with COMAND - APN settings are default and are the same as Peter's advice above

Message 71 of 92

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I have a feeling it's only iPhones and the O2 carrier profile (at the time) that gave problems.
This may well have been resolved with carrier profile updates by now (maybe) but your windows phone should be OK as far as we know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 92

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

See how you get on with it for the next day or so if its saying 'temporarily unavailble'. I'll keep an eye here and find out if there are any known issues to be aware of if needed.

Welcome to the forum guys slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 73 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, while my car is in the dealers they have lent me another. Perfect chance to test things...

Tried ipad with 4G sim card in it - connected straight away as soon as I switched on Mobile Hotspot. Tick

Tried with Windows Phone / O2 4G several times doing the exact same thing (and some variants) - no connection!

Irony in this case is that it is the Apple product that worked - though I suspect it is more the Three sim vs. the O2 sim...

Further thoughts?

Message 74 of 92

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try the o2 sim in the phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 75 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

the O2 sim is in the phone, the 3 sim is wireless mobile only and in the ipad - non-swappable unfortunately 😞

Message 76 of 92

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ah right, sorry - it must still be an o2 issue then I guess?
Get one of those guys at the dealers to show you how they got theirs working......?

Currently using:
Message 77 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

latest research:

Mercedes COMAND appears to require the Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN) standard

Nokia Lumia 950 does not seem to have this, but instead uses a more modern PAN standard for bluetooth/wireless tethering

Windows 10 Mobile does not seem to have option for enabling DUN (windows 7 mobile did!)

There's an Android app called BlueDUN that creates the capability provided that: a) using an Android phone, and b) have to have it running before tethering each time enter the car.

Back to it being Mercedes' problem for not supporting latest standards...

Message 78 of 92

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thanks for the update.
Sorry it's not a successful one though.

Currently using:
Message 79 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

bumping this to see if there is an update

i have the same issue with my c350e and iPhone 6s on O2

many thanks 

Neal 

Message 80 of 92