cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection in Mercedes C Class

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my car has the ability to connect to the internet through my Iphone 6  pay monthly. The car pairs with the phone using bluetooth no problem, and making and receiving calls is fine. The issue comes when i try to connect to the internet. The message is 'Data communication is temporarily unavailable'. This also happens with my work samsun phone also on O2. But with the Mercedes dealership, we got all different phones on all different networks to work with no problem. It is purely O2. Mercedes say they are not aware of anything, so i am trying so far unsuccessfully to get some thoughts or answers from O2.

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just posted this on MBworld .org after seeing previous post

Ive just changed my APN setting to the O2 4G settings (even though I am only on 3G ) and Hey Presto its working.

For those that want to give it a go follow this for iPhone 

Settings > Cellular > Cellular data network
You will then see the first APN setting is for Cellular data
Setting need to be changed to:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: o2web
Password: password

Leave other APNs alone (Visual voicemail and MMS)

Restart Phone and check you still have 3G connection
Turn on Personal hotspot and all should work.

Message 51 of 92

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They are not O2 4g settings.
They are data settings for iPhones that are not on the correct iData profile.
Other iPhone features will not work with those settings but it does prove that the problem is with O2's carrier profile for the iPhone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those settings are for Pay Monthly non-iPhone Tariff so the above is correct other things may not work.

For the sake of completeness I tried those settings, I live in a poor 3G signal area and it still timed out just as before, it seems to be a timeout issue to me as the connection tries 3 times before failing.

Message 53 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable
To date I have had no issues with other phone functions and I estimate I get a connection 50% of my attempts
When the connection times out of I reboot the phone and the connection usually works. Not ideal but an improvement on no connection at all. Car was updated to the latest version of Comand last week which didn't improve the connectivity.
Just downloaded IOS8.2 - could be back to square one again !!!!
Message 54 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Peter, I took delivery of my brand new C Class a week ago. Everything has been superb except for the internet connection. I spoke with O2 and Apple to no avail; the system will not recognise the link via the bluetooth tethering until I used the login details that you supplied. I have not found any problems with any other application yet, but will keep you informed. I have wasted hours trying to resolve this, so thank you for your help.

Message 55 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too just took delivery of a C Class and have the same problem. Two iPhones, both on O2, work fine with every aspect of Comand except for Internet. 

I tried the alternate login in the O2 settings mentioned above, but they did not work for me. I also tried to tether to the phone while it was itself on my home WiFi, like someone above suggested, but this also failed. In that case, the phone closed the tether when I switched off WiFi, even warning me first. i'm puzzed by the different behaviour, but this is a lesser issue, since I want to sit in the car to access my home WiFi!!

The experiences of people here do appear to show this is an O2 issue, do we have high hopes of a fix? Why should the O2 profile have any effect? Once tethering is permitted, I'm surprised O2 even get a hint of whethter it's bluetooth or WiFi?

Message 56 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried again with the new iOS 8.3 and it made no difference. 

Message 57 of 92

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Did you update your carrier file too?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 58 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe if one were available it would have been done automatically. Certainly in not being offered one.
Message 59 of 92

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Check if you are on 19

Currently using:
Message 60 of 92