cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet blocked, very little warning, have 'Unlimited Data' bolt-on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm about to go on holiday for two weeks abroad so thought it best to download all the app updates I've been putting off and download a few freebies to keep me entertained.

While do so this morning, I got a txt from O2 saying I'm using a lot of data.  I ignored the txt because I have the  'Unlimited Data' bolt-on.  But they've cut off my internet!  Crazy

Thank you O2 for this wonderful Christmas present, no internet.  Thankfully I'll not be needing internet while abroad but it would be handy to have some internet access (espically for satnav while in still the UK).

I tried phoning O2 on every number I could find but couldn't get passed the robots.  So I tried the online chat and after about 30mins with someone called Tush suggesting all manor for basic tests, it was clear we were going no where and Tush said to try again later!    Crazy

Anyone got any ideas (other than look for a different provider)?

Thanks,

M.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help.  I'm a little clearer now as to what's happened (I think).  Lesson learned that there's no such thing as "unlimited" or, evidently, a warning from O2 when you enter into unfair usage.  It was also very annoying that Tush on O2 chat insisted the problem was with my phone and failed to mention anything about data caps.

I'll contact O2 complaints to highlight this issue and leave it at that.

M.

Message 21 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyday a a school day.

Thank you @Anonymous for the info.

I wonder if I might call on @Anonymous to check if their is a 4Gb cap on the old legacy data allowance before unfair usage policy kicks in.
Message 22 of 37

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There never used to be a fair usage limit on legacy tariffs but a few customers have reported a 4Gb limit. I've been on a legacy unlimited since 2008 but have never used anything like 4gb. £gb is my maximum usage even when tethering. If I want 4G I have to give up the legacy tariff.

Message 23 of 37

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There never used to be a fair usage limit on legacy tariffs but a few customers have reported a 4Gb limit. I've been on a legacy unlimited since 2008 but have never used anything like 4gb. 3gb is my maximum usage even when tethering. If I want 4G I have to give up the legacy tariff.

Message 24 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately that is the case... there's a fair usage policy, and it's 4gb. As for data bolt ons they r not available for this tariff. In all fairness the tariff is really expensive compared to the new ones...so chances are you will get a lot more for your money if u change your tariff. Hope this helps! I 

Message 25 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought OFCOM had ruled on this several years ago because (amongst others) Vodafone were forced to make a change.

Where a tariff is advertised as "unlimited" it MUST be that. If a Fair Usage Policy applies then the tariff add in this case is no longer unlimited but is in fact limited to 4gb.

I recall this because Voda used to advertise unlimited texts with a FUP of 3000 per month. This was challenged and OFCOM ruled against the operators.

So if the OP signed up to an unlimited plan and has not made any changes to it that would mean a change of entitlement then unlimited must mean unlimited in which case I would have to advise the OP to go down the formal complaints procedure and then if not successful a referral to the Ombudsman Service based on the above.
Message 26 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately that is the case... there's a fair usage policy, and it's 4gb. As for data bolt ons they r not available for this tariff. In all fairness the tariff is really expensive compared to the new ones...so chances are you will get a lot more for your money if u change your tariff. Hope this helps! I 

Thank you @Anonymous for helping to clarify. 

Message 27 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So it took 3 pages to confirm what I said in the first reply Smiley Frustrated

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So it took 3 pages to confirm what I said in the first reply Smiley Frustrated

No it took someone official from O2 to confirm what was thought as may be. 😉

Up until then it was assumption. 

Message 29 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You were the only one assuming I wasn't correct wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 37