cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet blocked, very little warning, have 'Unlimited Data' bolt-on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm about to go on holiday for two weeks abroad so thought it best to download all the app updates I've been putting off and download a few freebies to keep me entertained.

While do so this morning, I got a txt from O2 saying I'm using a lot of data.  I ignored the txt because I have the  'Unlimited Data' bolt-on.  But they've cut off my internet!  Crazy

Thank you O2 for this wonderful Christmas present, no internet.  Thankfully I'll not be needing internet while abroad but it would be handy to have some internet access (espically for satnav while in still the UK).

I tried phoning O2 on every number I could find but couldn't get passed the robots.  So I tried the online chat and after about 30mins with someone called Tush suggesting all manor for basic tests, it was clear we were going no where and Tush said to try again later!    Crazy

Anyone got any ideas (other than look for a different provider)?

Thanks,

M.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have wi-fi, I'm reliant on my mobile broadband for my internet hence the reason I'm paying for this bolt-on.

When I phoned 202 this morning, I couldn't workout which option I needed.  I've since managed to speak to someone at O2 but the lady had never heard of an "unlimited data bolt-on".  It took her a while to help but eventually I was told it has been caped because I'm now using a different phone to the one I had when I originally purchased the contract (last year I switched from a ZTE Blade to a Xperia P). The lady was also not able to tell me what the data cap is, just that it states "unfair usuage".

Message 11 of 37

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Whoever you spoke to was lying. Your contract has nothing to do with the phone you're using.

Are you saying you have no access to any WiFi anywhere?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you got your new phone, did you buy it yourself or did you enter into a 24 month contract for it?
Message 13 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Id ring back and hope you get a better informed customer service agent !

It's reasonable to ask if your on the old Legacy tariff and what the cap is !
Message 14 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a sim-only contract.  I bought a cheap ZTE Blade from Orange (and unlocked it) and then got the O2 sim contract with bolt-on in 2010.  I swapped my phone last year to a Xperia P bought off eBay.

If there's a 4GB limit, that's fine but I wish they'd sent me a txt to let me I'm going to get cut off.  Instead the txt says "It looks like you're using a lot of data... call 202 to discuss packages" etc.

4GB is more than enough for my needs, I just got carried away with all the cheap/free Christmas app deals and somehow downloaded GBs of data!

I'm going on leave until the New Year so my data cap should reset then.

Message 15 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your Xperia P was bought as part of an upgrade, i.e. you took on a new 24 month commitment with o2 (either on refresh or not as you could have taken a contract out with an independent such as CPW) then your legacy would have ended at that point and you would have moved to a new (at the time) capped version.

If however you bought it as a payg or sim free handset from anywhere then it is your sim that matters and unless there were any other changes then you should still be on legacy.

@Anonymous I did a quick search but couldn't see any announcements about removing unlimited data from existing legacy tariffs who didn't change their contractual terms (was only a quick search)
Message 16 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
The rules on data changed in June 2010 effective October 2010 so it would depend when you took out your sim only contract. Are you able to confirm?

If you took your sim only out before June 2010 as an unlimited tariff for data then I haven't seen any announcements that say existing legacy tariffs would end. If however you took it out in June 2010 then it might have been at the time of the announcement in which case you might have thought you were buying unlimited but it may have started to be capped from the October.
Message 17 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

29 Mar 2010 is the date showing for the bolt-on start date.  The lady did say there wasn't an actual data figure showing on her system but instead it just stated "unfair usage".  So technically there is no limit and the "unfair usage" might vary depending on the cycle of the moon?

To be honest, it's probably not a bad deal as I pay just under £15 for "unlimited" data, 300 minutes and unlimited txts.

My complaint is with their lack of communication.

Message 18 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think we all agree with you on here and I think you have a right to ask o2 to explain.

Just for clarity you haven't made any changes since 2010? I.e. your legacy tariff would only be for 3g, you haven't added 4g for example? That would have triggered a change? Just going through all the possibilities.
Message 19 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
You haven't requested a sim swap during that time? Shouldn't have changed your tariff but this is o2 we are talking about. Human error creeping in a lot more these days.
Message 20 of 37