cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet and calls at the same time

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Will I be able to use Internet at the same time when I am on a call with someone ? I believe, GSM technology allows phone call and Internet simultaneously.

While I was using Three mobile, I was able to use that. But now, with O2, I am not. Is it because of the service in a particular area. Or for O2 , is it generally like that ?

Regards,

JK

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

On o2 2g network calls and data are not available together on any phone (part of the gsm standard)

on o2 3g network calls and data work together (utms standard same as 3)

If connected to 3g calls and sms go also by 3g and not 2g (hence some of the issues on congested 3g cell sites delaying sms and calls)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I don't seem to have this issue.

I know some American Networks have that issue.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

what phone are we talking about as I suspect it will be a phone software issue rather than a carrier problem?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Phone calls get routed via 2g regardless of your signal so I see no reason why you can't use 3g if it is available to you when on a call.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

On o2 2g network calls and data are not available together on any phone (part of the gsm standard)

on o2 3g network calls and data work together (utms standard same as 3)

If connected to 3g calls and sms go also by 3g and not 2g (hence some of the issues on congested 3g cell sites delaying sms and calls)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess that's happening. I was trying to use Whatsapp while on phone. Later realized that there is no data connection.

I live in Oxford, it happens alot.
Message 6 of 6