Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Text/MMS

JenniK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am unable to send text messages to some international numbers and I am unable to receive texts from them as well.

Even if it is a 1 word message to test, and there are no pictures or emoticons on it, it still says that sending mms failed.

If someone tries to send me a message, I don't get any kind of notification and neither do they so everyone thinks I'm ignoring them!

Last time I got messages from an International number was when my sister was physically in the UK visiting me in November, but she she didn't get my messages. 

I don't want to use data for Whatsapp when I am abroad and neither will they when they are here, so it would be nice to be able to send a plain old text message.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to use SMS not MMS as MMS are chargeable and will not come from your SMS allowances.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A little confusing as @JenniK is talking about SMS and MMS in the same post... An explanation here if relevant. MMS abroad will need mobile data turned on to receive...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-...

Edited to add...check your message centre numbers on your phone

Pay Monthly   +447802000332
Pay & Go       +447802092035

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 14

JenniK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry.

Samsung Galaxy S5

Trying to send just a normal sms from a UK phone in the UK to a Finnish phone over in Finland. Shouldn't be anything to do with roaming.

Tried to send (just a message with the word 'test') and a pop up briefly flashed up saying cannot send MMS, that is why I mentioned MMS

I have just tried again and it looks like it has gone, but I've spoken to them and they haven't received it and I haven't received their messages to me.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

The fact that it popped up with "cannot send MMS" means it's trying to send as one and not an SMS message.
Also, what code are you putting in front of their number and are you on contract or PAYG?
If messages are sending, but not receiving it is worth both parties checking their blocked number lists.
The Samsung has it as an option within the settings of the message app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

JenniK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm on contract. 

The numbers have the correct country code.

I will check the blocked numbers and ask them to as well, but it is a bit strange if several people had me accidentally blocked! Or maybe they are tying to tell me something! slight_smile

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Also check your message settings to make sure SMS is the default and set MMS to restricted.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

It may also be worth texting the word Active to 2020. This should push through the correct network settings for your phone and plan. You'll have to accept the settings once they're sent to you.

Message 9 of 14

JenniK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did that and atleast one person has received my test sms, but I don't receive his replies.

Message 10 of 14