Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Intermittent blackout of phone service due to faulty O2 mast.

Over a week ago any calls I made from my phone at home started to have intermittent pauses lasting around 2 seconds every 5 seconds.

I rang o2 and their technical dept said it was a faulty mast in my area and would be repaired in a day or two. The problem has continued and I rang again today to find out why the problem was still happening and was told the mast was still out of action and they had no idea when it would be back online.

I am on a 12 month contract (6 months to go) and have been offered the cost of my line rental which works out at 51p a day for every day the mast is out of action.

I think this is unfair as 02 are not providing the service they should and therefore compensation for the loss of having no phone to take and receive calls should be made.

I am housebound at the moment recovering from an operation and rely on my phone to make calls to friends and family.

02 are not prepared to discuss any further compensation for the inconvenience I am suffering and say the 51p a day is all they need to pay.

I have asked them to cancel my contract which they have agreed to do but want £101 severance fees.

Are they within their rights to do this?

They have broken their contract of service with me and I have given them adequate time to rectify the problem which they have failed to do.

The offer of 51p a day is paltry considering I have no access to a phone and I think I am within my rights to terminate the contract for non providence of service.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks.

Highlighted
Topics: 554
Solutions: 13,952

Re: Intermittent blackout of phone service due to faulty O2 mast.

[ Edited ]
If you read the small print of your contract, you will find, unfortunately in your case, that O2 are correct. They are under no obligation to pay compensation for loss of service and you have to "buy out" if you want to leave early. You signed into all this when you took the deal in the first place.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply,

I think their failure to provide the service expected and being given adequate time to do so is good enough reason for me to terminate the contract.

o2 have already threatened me with a debt collecting agency which I am prepared to take on as I feel despite signing a contract they haven't met their obligations and therefore are not providing the service.

Highlighted
Level 10: Inspirational

Good luck with that one.
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

[ Edited ]

Sadly you are wrong in your assumptions, O2 do not have to provide a continuous service, as long as they make repairs in a suitable period of time they won't have to pay compensation and you are not within your rights to unilaterally cancel the contract.

As above take a look at the terms that you agreed to, all service providers will be the same on this.

Sometimes equipment breaks without warning and repairs can extend to a few weeks, this is considered fair by the regulators.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Topics: 574
Solutions: 3,896

If you feel strongly enough about it then you could try making a complaint to see exactly what, if anything, they can do for you with regards to your contract.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Highlighted
Anonymous

Over a week is ample time for o2 to effect repairs and sadly for them if they can't then they have breached the contract and I can go elsewhere.

Industry regulators are useless, none of them look after the consumer which is why we are ripped off with gas & electricity prices.

O2 have already used bully boy tactics in threatening me with a debt collection agency, so as far as I am concerned they have no regard for their customers other than to rip them off and therefore they are fair game for reciporcal treatment.

Highlighted
Topics: 554
Solutions: 13,952

Please come back and let us know how this works out for you and good luck Smiley Wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well I will take back what I said earlier about o2 and top marks to the lady I spoke to 20 minutes ago in their customer service department.

After this last phone call to resolve the issue, I was informed that the contract could be cancelled without penalty as a good will gesture seeing as I had been without a viable service for over a week with no date in sight for the mast repair.

However the lady said they would reimburse me £25 off my next bill if I chose to stay with them which goes some way compensating for all the hassle and extra cost of landline calls.

Hopefully the mast problem will be resolved soon and thanks to everyone who posted on here with their advice.

Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

[ Edited ]

You have been offered a goodwill gesture and that's the best you could hope for, I think you have been very fairly treated here.

That's a good result for you, but again your comment here is incorrect:

"Over a week is ample time for o2 to effect repairs and sadly for them if they can't then they have breached the contract and I can go elsewhere."

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1