cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't really know who is right and who is wrong. One of my friend is O2 customer and this is her first time I phone 5 contract with O2. She bought the insurance from O2 as well. But 2 days ago, she lost her phone at her work. Before she finish the break, she was in the toilet and put her phone on toilet paper box. Unfortunately she forgot her phone and get back to work. When she remember, the phone has gone already. Someone took it already. The restaurant has only one toilet for customers and staffs. Anyway when she try to claim from O2 insurance, but they declined. The reason was " forgot the phone in the toilet ( public area ) can't cover the insurance ". So, why she was paying for insurance? Who want to lost their phone? O2 customer service can't do anything as well. Does anyone have any idea for this case? Please!
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look in the terms and conditions.

Their will be a clause which I'm sure someone will post a link to or copy and paste which covers reasonable care of your phone.

Exclusion 4.
"We will not cover theft when your mobile phone has been left unattended in a public place."

As the toilet is used by staff and customers it would be deemed as a public place.

It's like the "I left my phone on the pubs drinking table while I went to get a drink ,and it was gone when I returned " scenario.

i.e ; Reasonable care was not taken initially.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look in the terms and conditions.

Their will be a clause which I'm sure someone will post a link to or copy and paste which covers reasonable care of your phone.

Exclusion 4.
"We will not cover theft when your mobile phone has been left unattended in a public place."

As the toilet is used by staff and customers it would be deemed as a public place.

It's like the "I left my phone on the pubs drinking table while I went to get a drink ,and it was gone when I returned " scenario.

i.e ; Reasonable care was not taken initially.
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

In hindsight it would have been better to have reported the phone stolen but I fear it's too late for that now. Most insurances have those type of stipulations buried in the small print and it's always advisable to read them thoroughly, especially in the event of a claim.

Any chance the owner is covered by home insurance for personal items?

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
True Jonsie

OP followed the honesty is the best policy route.

Also some banks cover mobile phone issues if you have a current account with them.
Message 4 of 4